• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wesleybeks

WOW. That is beautiful.

Marc sorry if I missed it, what Magazine is this article going to appear in?
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

marc_reusser

Yes, Russ...it is absolute rubbish...one big caricature....... I will wash it all off once Dallas finishes his Diesel.

Wesley, thanks! I did go a bit heavy/exaggerated on the dirt/mud build-up, but that is the article subject. It will be in the next issue of The Weathering Magazine, by AK. The issue is devoted to Mud.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 15, 2013, 04:11:56 AM
Yes, Russ...it is absolute rubbish...one big caricature....... I will wash it all off once Dallas finishes his Diesel.

Ah!  Then ...
a)  The finish is safe for a while ...
b)  I can take the photos of your critter, use those to make decals and simply "slap on" a similar finish on mine ...
c)  Then you can scrub yours off and do it properly.

Got it!  ;D
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Franck Tavernier

Marc,

How did you fix the pigments? With fAK fixer?

Franck

marc_reusser

It's not so much pigments as it is "other stuff"....but yes, one of the products I used to hold it was the "Pigment Fixer". .....this whole process was an experiment to see if I could create a hybrid somewhat of a "Franken-technique", by combining a Chuck Doan approach, with an armor modeling approach.   ;D

M-Works

marc_reusser

......funny you should say that, yes, the process does include dirt sifted almost as fine as pigments.

The whole thing is basically easy to do.....it took all of 4 evenings......but it is not for the faint of heart, or those that want a quick and easy solution...and will need at least one round of practice. Luckily, if you do scre it up before the last step or so....it actually CAN simply be washed off with water....and have no ill/residual effect on the underlying painted model.

Well, this should keep you guessing till the article comes out......though it will likely be a bit  disappointing when you see how basic/simple it is.  :)

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

I use the same kind of technique based on real earth ...!

After having heated, using an oven, the real earth to kill all the vermin, I reduce this earth in a fine dust, with a stainless steel pestle and also stainless steel sieve, with small mesh to collect a fine dust ...

;)

Franck

marc_reusser

Yes....but that fine mesh is not fine enough.  ;D. I think the ones I used have openings of around .004" and .002"

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Hey don't be draggin my name through the mud! ;D

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Time to call this done.

Contast between the paint surface, and yellowish tone of the mud are a bit strong in this image..likely due to the lighting...but it gets the general idea across.

...and the left side

On to the next project.

M-Works

Malachi Constant

That looks great!  All so subtle ... seem to recall that you have a little scenic base ... any chance of some photos of the wee beastie on that?  Would be nice to see the coloring against some background.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Thanks Dallas!

On the base....ummm....well, that pretty much has been relegated to the "Use for future experiments, or toss in rubbish bin" drawer. I wasn't happy with the feel of it, so never really did anything more with it.

M-Works

danpickard

Wonderful finish Marc.  Dirt looks good and loose still.  The oil staining around the axle boxes is real nice with the different bleed marks. 

As for the base, who says it needs to be on some track?  Plenty of the reference pics show one of these similar little numbers just parked in the dirt outside a shed.  There's a future project...thinking a low relief fascade (a-la Mr Doan), with a salvaged loco out front of the "collectors room".

Cheers,
Dan