• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steam engine for a saw mill

Started by Barney, January 05, 2014, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

At the start of a new year it looks like my main objective (as last year) is to see how many unfinished projects I can achieve so its off into the unknown again but rely try this time to finish something !
I have been looking at small saw mills and thought I would start with the "power plant" a small steam engine but can not find any measurement's as a  rough guide to the size of these things -found loads of photos all museum type of things with nothing to take a measurement from or a guide size of flywheel or a person standing by the side looking at Marty's "Corliss project" he also states the same "Unfortunately I was not able to find plans/blueprints so I drew my own scaling the plans from photos and the few know dimensions."
any help would much be appreciated and you never know I might break my habit of wandering of and actually finish a project !!
Barney

5thwheel

If you find the engine size listed it should get you pretty close to the scale.  A 9 X 12 engine would give you a nine inch bore and a twelve inch stroke.  Add about four inches to each to allow for casting and you should be pretty close.  What do you consider a small sawmill?
Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

shropshire lad

Does it have to be a steam engine ? If I was building a sawmill I would run it with an old lorry engine . What about an old Matador ? Surely you , the Lorry Engine King of The World could bang something together in your sleep . If you slept .

Happy New Year , Grinch !

Nick

Barney

Bill - well lets say I'm not talking "Westside Lumber Company" the best example would be the type in the book - The Kerry Tramway " on page 70 it shows a plan and a description of a "Scotch" portable saw mill which uses a 30hp steam engine (portable type on wheels) I'm going for a permanent version which uses a mill engine normally mounted on a concrete block -so its something that could handle logs up to 2ft/2ft 6in diameter.
Nick that's to easy! and you know I love a good headache ! it keeps me awake - saving the 1/35th stuff for the Euro show and going big to 16mm to the foot built 3 versions of steam engines in 1/35th all in the bin now things just did not look right !
Barney
going big with a headache.

lab-dad

Barney
I have a lovely little (horizontal) "mill engine" kit manufactured by Charles Brohmer.
The overall length is about 14 feet.
The flywheel is 4.6 feet.
It is a 8"!by 12" (bore and throw)
I could scan and send the elevations and some basic dentions.
Sadly there are mone on the elevations.

Marty

Krusty

Quotethe best example would be the type in the book - The Kerry Tramway " on page 70 it shows a plan and a description of a "Scotch" portable saw mill which uses a 30hp steam engine (portable type on wheels)

Would a de-wheeled Clayton portable do?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Krusty

Robey Portable c1907.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Barney

Thanks to every one for the information you have sent in - much appreciated  at the end of it all I'm going  for the wheel-less portable type this seems to be the one for smaller saw mills and I have even made a start !
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Gordon Ferguson

That's a relief, was worried that steam might mean an end to Lego blocks  ;D
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

SandiaPaul

Doh! I just remember these pics I took up in Vermont. The engine is a bit different from the "usual" portable and you have already gone down a path. Maybe the details will be of some use.  I thought it was an interesting looking machine. Ignore the colors(if you can)

It starts with this pic and goes on for a few more:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20941728@N05/11822921333/

Paul

Paul

Barney

Paul - Thanks very interesting photos and that paint job ! looks like some one used all there old paint up when they cleared the shed out
Barney

Barney

Made a start on the boiler – I have gone for the shorter version - cannot make out what the lump of wood is for on the side - it just makes the wheel support brackets an elaborate casting! But still they seem to leave them on! even when the wheels are taken off
Barney
Run out of rivets again   
Hosted on Fotki
acrylic Rod and tube used for the basic shapes
Hosted on Fotki
and of course the Lego blocks
Hosted on Fotki

Barney

Grandt Line rivets / nuts and bolts and some Titchy trains bolts

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki