• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steam engine for a saw mill

Started by Barney, January 05, 2014, 03:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juke Joint

Ray Dunakin

Nice!

My guess is, the wood block is to spread the force from the axle, protecting the boiler/firebox from stress.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Terry Harper

Here is a (low quality) photos of a mill we found out in the wilds of Maine. It was rather remote - 40 miles from the nearest paved road (and neighbor) and 1 mile from the closest logging road. Anyway, the power plant consisted of a horizontal boiler set on a crude stone foundation made from flat stones with minimal mortar. The small steam engine was used to drive a Westinghouse D.C. generator (still on the site). Apparently - as evident by the parts & pieces laying around - they had a large steam engine they used to power the mill itself but it had been removed.

Scratchman

The wood beam and axles are parts of ether  a wagon or a set of truck wheels. The wagon or truck wheels could be used to move the engine from place to place and then be easily removed and the engine set in place for use on a set of sills. I would set the engine on  a permanent set of sills and do away with the wagon parts but I don't know what kind of saw mill you are modeling. There should be two mounting seats one at the front and one at the rear of the fire box just like the photo shows. I got this information from the book "Encyclopedia of American Steam Engines" (by Jack Norbeck) there are photos of both the wagon and truck wheels.

Barney I'm a big fan of your work but  this boiler has many problem. There are details missing and some details that are just not right.

Gordon Birrell

Barney

Thanks to you all for your comments –Ray with reference to the wood I think that sounds about right
Terry those photos have got real atmosphere thanks for sharing them
Gordon please put me right about what's wrong! But remember I'm a "freelance prototype modeller" or you might even call me a "look alike" type.  My intentions are to go up the middle and not particularly model any particular prototype type – I have looked at many of these boiler/ engines even of the same make and they all seem to differ in many ways. But I would much appreciate your views.
Thanks Barney

Barney

A single wheel bracket
Hosted on Fotki

I know its a different make and a short version - but I love it
Hosted on Fotki

Scratchman

Barney,there's a good photo (the Eclipse) of some of my problems #1 the steam dome that is what they look like you can't freelance that detail. # 2 the nice clean pattern on the stay bolts on all sides of the fire-box (I use a smaller rivet  for the stay bolts than the rivets I'm using on the seams) #3 You have too many  rivets or nuts.above stay-bolts on the fire box and the back-head.

Are you modeling an engine with the seats for a wagon or is your axles mounted on the side of the fire box? If so you don't need the wagon seats.

Gordon  Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Scratchman

Here's a model that shows a two piece truck wheel set-up. If the front and back wheels were connected with framing it would be a wagon.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aft/125670/Default.aspx

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Wonderful piece as always Barney. Looking forward to the next progress pics.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Barney

Gordon – I'm getting confused here (that's not a hard thing to be at my age and time of life) all this technical stuff – size of rivets – position of brackets – missing brackets – style of steam dome – you are right and correct in all your statements and I truly appreciate all the information and help you have given me  but and I Quote from our Gordon "the flying Scotsman" this side of the pond there is always a but I'm not building a Frick Eclipse I'm building a plausible freelance steam engine taking ideas from all types of portable steam engines  plus of course the total confusion I gained when I looked at 14 versions of Frick Eclipse portable steam engine ! All of which were the same type and model all with different bits and pieces added or removed throughout there life time .
I enjoy building my models this way as long as it measures up ok and it looks like it's a working piece of engineering with all the bits and pieces in the right place. It also helps in understanding how things work before I took this project on I had no idea how things like a steam governor worked the governors balls and all that! and the workings of the saw mill I had a idea but got it wrong in so many ways , but thanks to all you guys out there I owe you a lot for all the information I have gained
Thanks again
Barney

finescalerr

Well, Barney, if that's the case, don't forget the propeller and stirring rod. -- ssuR

(I know, I know. But I've lost my cotton pickin' mind. Hmmm. It might still be in Cleveland ....)

marc_reusser

Ran across these in my files...don't know if they are of interest.

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works