• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

War Department Sentinel Steam Wagon

Started by Barney, February 10, 2014, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Barney

Winch drums completed and fittings for crane jib nearly completed
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

shropshire lad

I think , Barney , that you really need one BIG log on the trailer and not three piddly little sticks . I shall see if I can find something suitable . Something about a scale 12' in diameter .

finescalerr

I'm looking forward to seeing it with paint. -- Russ

Barney

Nick or anyone with knowledge of the French logging industry in the 1st WW era - did they have any monster 12ft dia trees in France ?
Barney 

shropshire lad

Quote from: Barney on May 29, 2014, 02:30:20 AM
Nick or anyone with knowledge of the French logging industry in the 1st WW era - did they have any monster 12ft dia trees in France ?
Barney 

Barney ,

Whilst I am by no means an expert on this subject , I would think it to be highly likely that at that time there were trees of that size being felled and used in France . Whether that is the case now I couldn't say . There are loads of photos around showing trees of that size being transported in Britain in that era and as the French are known to manage their woodland better than the British then I would think they would have just as big trees . Whether they were used for the war effort I couldn't say . I have had a look through some of my British logging books and I have a few photos of Sentinels hauling logs . There are more photos of Fodens , however . Which are of no use to you !

Nick

Hauk

Quote from: shropshire lad on May 30, 2014, 02:44:05 AM
Quote from: Barney on May 29, 2014, 02:30:20 AM
Barney 

Barney ,

Whilst I am by no means an expert on this subject , I would think it to be highly likely that at that time there were trees of that size being felled and used in France . Whether that is the case now I couldn't say . There are loads of photos around showing trees of that size being transported in Britain in that era and as the French are known to manage their woodland better than the British then I would think they would have just as big trees . Whether they were used for the war effort I couldn't say . I have had a look through some of my British logging books and I have a few photos of Sentinels hauling logs . There are more photos of Fodens , however . Which are of no use to you !

Nick

I would love to see some images of logging operations on the British Isles involving 12` diameter logs! I would think that logs of this size are very rare in western Europe, especially after 1900.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

shropshire lad

Ok , I lied . Just a little bit . 12' diameter logs were not that common , but I do have images of vehicles hauling logs that size and bigger . I guess , 8 to 10' diameter logs would be more plausible . But my point being that one large log would look more impressive than 3 smaller ones .

Nick

Barney

Nick I no longer do impressive or complicated !
just a few shots of logging in France and England
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki