• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Aveling Barford Road Roller ....... 1/24 scale

Started by Gordon Ferguson, February 12, 2014, 10:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Your styrene work's quality is depressing. I'm always amazed how even more crisp the parts are looking when they're painted. I don't know if it was your intention, but the little buckles of the hood may give it a very convincing look in the end. If it was not your intention, please go back to the bench and add some more of it 8).

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I agree with Volker. Very depressing work. The paint already has enhanced it so it's even more depressing now. -- ssuR

Gordon Ferguson

Volker, on this occasion I can claim that the dents were intentional ..... Wanted to try and differentiate between the heavy steel sides and the thin metal on the hood.

Thanks for comments re quality, should say most of the improvement has come from being  coached by young Barney ..... Let's just say if it's not right , or fine enough  then suggestions of recycling are forthcoming  ;D
Gordon

Malachi Constant

That is some dang fine work on a piece with some rather complex & interesting shapes!  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Well got the scarifier painted, being small it was a useful piece to practice on

My reference pics seem to show this piece took a lot of abuse and is therefore a lot more worn and rusty than the rest of the roller will be. Looking at the pics now can see I will have to tone down some bits but will leave it now until it is fitted to the painted roller

Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! It definitely looks like a piece of heavy, metal machinery.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Okay, Gordon, you made your move - nice prototype. Now back to modeling, please.

Looks very good to me, especially the side with the handwheel. I think there's some grease grime missing around the greased/oiled parts, which maybe look a bit to shiny: I've often seen the oil from the grease creeping over the rusty surfaces. Maybe some grease might have dropped from the screw. If this thingie was used for tearing up the surface there must have been lots of dust so the dust might have build up at the oily parts.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I looked at the photos and thought the assembly was altogether adequate. Then I read Volker's comment. The rascal is probably right. Luckily those are things you can do pretty quickly and easily. -- Russ

chester

Magnificent, of course none of us expect any less.

lab-dad

excellent!
Now I really cant wait to see the rest !
-Mj

Gordon Ferguson

Volker, good call, you right the threads/ worm look to oily & shiny not like grease at all.
Will try and fix, will leave the dust until the whole is painted and put together and use dust/ grime to unify

Anybody would think I had a clue what I was doing :D

Marty, no pressure then  ;)
Gordon

JohnTolcher

Gordon, beautiful work! I love the deteriorated paint; original blue in places, fading to white or grey whether it be fading or primer, then giving way to rust. I'm guessing that over the dullcote went hairspray, then Tamiya pale grey, then blue? Chipped with a windex solution?

The suggestion for showing oil creeping over the surface is a great idea, but I'm not sure how you would do that. Maybe some oil paint, mixed with a little enamel gloss? Not sure.

Anyway, lovely work so far!
Cheers
John in Australia

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks John, your description is just about spot on. Only difference  is I did not use Windex, have experimented with that ...... Very successfully stripped all the paint off with that method, need to practice a bit more  ;D

In this case just used a small stubby brush and stippled lightly rather than brushed the dampened paint surface, but for me anyway it is more luck than judgement ..... Hairspray, wrong kind, too thick, too thin, thinning the Tamyia paint with laquer instead of water ...... Just made that mistake, again !! Etc, etc   
Gordon

voyager

Couldn't agree more with all the compliments, very well deserved. Now..... if those gears are well oiled, I presume the scarifier is/has been used regularly - so would the tines be rusty...? ;D
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

marc_reusser

Quote from: voyager on February 18, 2014, 08:54:07 AM
> I presume the scarifier is/has been used regularly - so would the tines be rusty...? ;D

Re. the rusty tines: steel when used/scraped/worn, will very quickly develop a thin layer of fresh bright orange rust...over time if the steel is not re-surfaced/scraped/worn the rust will darken through a series of shades, till it reaches a dark purplish-black-brown color. Light orange-ish rust tones occur only at freshly rusted/oxidized areas/surfaces (or leach from joints/pivots/hinges/panel joints/rivets/etc.  that have moved causing the metal there to be continually resurfaced/scraped)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works