• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Looking good. GREAT!
I have been enjoying the progress (jealous too!)
The springs look a little out of place.
The rest of the model is so crisp and the springs, well are not.
I'm sure you will end up using lazer cut or photoetch spring steel so they look and work just like they should!

-Marty

Hydrostat

Quote from: lab-dad on January 30, 2015, 04:41:17 AM
The springs look a little out of place.
The rest of the model is so crisp and the springs, well are not.

You nailed it, Marty.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

I would love to use real leaf springs if they could be made to work!

But from what I have seen it is extremely difficult to make soft enough working leaf springs in 0-scale. One of the few people I know of that has tried to make working leaf springs is Erik Olsen:

http://www.modelbaneteknik.dk/model/vogn/blfj.htm

For the springs to work, he have to make the springs "progressive" wich means that the two longest blades have a sharper radius than the others.
And even using this trick and ballasting his wagons to 280 g. (Around 10 oz.) the springs are a bit stiff!

I checked the weight of the completed wagon last night, and it clocked in at just over 1 ounce. Adding the body will at best double this, so I need considerable softer springs than those Erik made.

To give you an idea about how soft the complete stack of leaf springs needs to be, a single guitarstring of 0.009" would have about the correct stiffness.

If anyone have links to project that use woring leaf springs in 0-scale narrowgauge or smaller, I would love to see it!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

TRAINS1941

Beautiful craftsmanship.  Love following this thread.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hydrostat

Quote from: Hauk on January 30, 2015, 06:09:50 AM
If anyone have links to project that use woring leaf springs in 0-scale narrowgauge or smaller, I would love to see it!

At buntbahn I've seen a trick you can get softer leaf springs. All leafs have a wide slot inside aside of the top and bottom leaf to achieve a softer spring. Maybe this works for O scale, too? They use phosphorus bronze for that. If you're interested I'll take time to search for it. I didn't find it at one go. Or ask Helmut, he surely knows.

Volker

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on January 30, 2015, 08:27:42 AM

At buntbahn I've seen a trick you can get softer leaf springs. All leafs have a wide slot inside aside of the top and bottom leaf to achieve a softer spring. Maybe this works for O scale, too? They use phosphorus bronze for that. If you're interested I'll take time to search for it. I didn't find it at one go. Or ask Helmut, he surely knows.

Volker

I think this is the same trick as Erik used. But I am very interested on seeing the postings on the Buntbahn forum!  I have tried searching there, but it is a little hard due to my rather limited German skills.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hydrostat

Hauk,

I'll have a closer look, but maybe I didn't remember the source correctly. For sure Helmut knows where to find it. This link to Thomas Hey'l's great website explains the principle: http://www.themt.de/grossbild/wagon/federn-1180mm-000s. One can see the slots and a middle boring for adjustment. The yellow areas show the parts which are only half way etched. There's this clamp connecting the single blades and I recall that the connecting piece of wire is soldered solely to the clamp to avoid blocking the blades.

Volker

finescalerr

I don't recall whether the leaf springs actually function but in the first or second Modelers' Annual (07 or 08) an article on scratchbuilding with brass dealt with building leaf springs. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Unfortunately scale springs still have to deal with 1:1 physics. I suspect that any 1/48th scale springs sensitive enough to work realistically, would be far to delicate to hold up long even when handled carefully.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on January 30, 2015, 12:26:50 PM
Unfortunately scale springs still have to deal with 1:1 physics. I suspect that any 1/48th scale springs sensitive enough to work realistically, would be far to delicate to hold up long even when handled carefully.

Exactly. Those things do not scale linearly.
Regards, Hauk
--

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk,

hier in 1973 built, sprung track 0 cars from me.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hauk

Long time no post in this thread, but the last months of modelling time has been spent redesigning the etching artwork. The second generation of etchings has now arrived, and the the first build from this production run has gotten under way.

I took my chances and ordered etches for 20 wagons, and so far I have not discovered any major flaws.

One of the changes I made was to have the fasteners for the long rods  that goes parallel to the wagon line up proper.

Here is the test assembly:

It might look trivial, but if you look closely you will see that there is in fact a rather complicated relationship between the parts involved.

And about those etches for 20 wagons, my latest estimate is that it will take at least 60 hours to build one wagon. I have to find ways to speed up construction!
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Quote from: Design-HSB on January 30, 2015, 02:26:28 PM
Hello Hauk,

hier in 1973 built, sprung track 0 cars from me.

Wow, nice!
How heavy must the wagon/car be for the springs to work?
Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Once again I've read through all of this from the beginning. It's absolutely brilliant! Keep up the good work, Peter

Side note: In particular, I like the decision of building in metal and wood as the prototype.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on April 17, 2015, 12:04:28 AM
Once again I've read through all of this from the beginning. It's absolutely brilliant! Keep up the good work, Peter

Side note: In particular, I like the decision of building in metal and wood as the prototype.

Thanks!

I am very happy with my "metal for metal" and "wood for wood" choice, even if I can see that it is not an entirely rational decision.
For the metal, I am convinced that it is the right choice, no matter how you look at it.  It is strong, easy to solder and the etching process is the most efficient way make parts out out of thin metal I can think of. And the half etched  folding lines are priceless.

For the wood parts things are a bit different. My wooden boards show more grain than the prototype, no doubt. The board by board construction with milled tongue and groove  is very time consuming. A body cast in resin would save a lot of time, and with practice I should be able to paint it at least as convincing as my wooden version probably will turn out.

But still, I would not like it any other way.

Its the same thing with handlaid track. When I first tried to hand lay track in H0 scale I really got a kick out of spiking the nickel silver rail to real wooden ties. Not much later I tried RailCrafts flex-track, but even if it clearly looks a lot more like the real deal than my hand spiked track it left me cold.

I guess it just proves that this whole model railroading thing is not just about rational choices!
Regards, Hauk
--