• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Hauk on April 23, 2015, 01:52:48 PM
Quote from: lab-dad on April 23, 2015, 12:47:40 PM
I have used plain music wire and just coated it with graphite from a regular #2 pencil.
Marty

That is a good tip!

Until the tip breaks. Then it's just pointless.   :D

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Ray, go stand in the corner! -- ssuR

TRAINS1941

Hauk

Beautiful work.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Sami

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on April 24, 2015, 12:24:26 AM
Ray, go stand in the corner! -- ssuR

Already on my way.    :)

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

A little more work has been done on the wooden parts. Sides for the first wagon has been glued together. I thought this was gong to be a demanding process, but it turned out that it was far easier to glue them together than I thought. The challenge was to keep the tongues and grooves visible on the ends, since these will have the ends of the board visible.

The process I followed was to spread a thin film of white glue on a plate of glass, and carefully touch it with the tongue of the board. This way glue was only applied to the top of the tongue, and with a little care no glue oozed out between the boards. I was careful to not apply glue to the last 3-4 mm at each end of the boards to avoid that the glue hides the tongue and grooves. After working so hard with the T&G boards, it would be a shame to hide them under glue!

I also had to do all final sanding and painting before assembling the ends for the same reason. I am happy that the T&G´s are visible on the final parts. It is a quite subtle detail only seen by hawk-eyed observers and in extreme close ups, but I like it! (And it was fun to work out how to make scale T&G boards)

By the way, I changed my mind regarding the red on the sides and settled for a more plain boxcar red. I also used a slightly less thinned paint (Humbrol no. 70 cut with 25% white spirits). Before I brush painted on the red, I stained all sides of the wood with two coats of Silverwood thinned 25% with isopropanol.

Next up is to add all the brass hardware to the sides.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

The T&G boards are amazing, and look great!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

I for one would like to see the milling process for the tongue & groove joints!
-marty

TRAINS1941

That looks great.  Nice work.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on May 01, 2015, 06:30:34 PM
I for one would like to see the milling process for the tongue & groove joints!
-marty

Page 1 of this thread!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. By the way, fluorescent lighting makes SilverWood disappear. I would hate to see that beautiful weathered wood revert to its original appearance. -- Russ

Bill Gill

Hauk, Groovy woodwork! My tongue is hanging out just admiring the results!

"By the way, fluorescent lighting makes SilverWood disappear. I would hate to see that beautiful weathered wood revert to its original appearance." -- Russ
Russ! You're becoming a conservator. Also not light fast is the 'popular' concoction of steel wool dissolved in vinegar, and even though the effect is not as nice, some so called India inks are also not light fast as they seem to have an iron component rather than just some form of carbon black

Chuck Doan

Those boards are excellent. Well worth the effort.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on May 02, 2015, 12:07:57 AM
Most satisfactory. By the way, fluorescent lighting makes SilverWood disappear. I would hate to see that beautiful weathered wood revert to its original appearance. -- Russ

Ouch, what timeframe are we talking here? Months, years, decades?
And what about daylight?
My models has the privilege of beeing displayed in the living room, which has a lot of  daylight.
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Quote from: Chuck Doan on May 02, 2015, 10:31:36 AM
Those boards are excellent. Well worth the effort.

Thanks, Chuck! By the way, is it true what Russ is saying about our mutual friend mr. Silverwood? :'(
Regards, Hauk
--