• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

It may just be the photo but maybe the stained wood could use another application. SilverWood fades. -- Russ

Hauk

More than a 120 days has passed since I last updated this post, but I have not given up modeling.
Just bumping the thread with a photo of four brake stands (?) :

Boring stuff to make as I have built several oft hem before. But they just have to be made. Next time I think I will have them cast.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

Hauk, good to hear that it will go on.
The brake stands looks good!
Sometimes boring stuff will be rewarded by the result  :)
Frithjof

Ray Dunakin

Nice to see some progress again.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Hauk, Good to see you're still working on this project. Nice details with the brake stands.

Peter_T1958

At long last we have received a sign of life from your work. I am very happy, thank you!
;) Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Building brake stands or other repetitive details is a little like performing music: You may already have played the piece a thousand times but the challenge is what you bring to it on any given day. Very adequate fabrication. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Hauk,

glad to see some very fine progress! Hope to see more ...

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on December 13, 2016, 12:27:01 PM
Hauk,

glad to see some very fine progress! Hope to see more ...

Volker

Did some more boring work tonight, so things are moving along slowly...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

Thanks a lot for the interest in my ramblings!

A little progress report tonight. To make room for the axle points I needed to mill a 1,1mm wide and 1,8mm deep slot in the back of the leaf spring/journal box castings: 

The brass alloy in these castings seems to be very hard, and this seemingly trivial task came at cost of 4 mill bits. Fortunately, they were cheap Chinese eBay bits, but perhaps this also was part of the problem?

The bits were regular steel, 2 flute. For the first attempts I used 2mm/sec feed and the cuts 0,3mm deep. Spindle speed around 20 000. But as the bits broke at the very end of the slot milling, I decreased the feed speed to 1mm/sec. Then it worked quite OK.

Any suggestions from you serious machinists out there? Should I have used a carbide milling bit? 3 or 4 flutes? Any other opinions on milling and drilling brass castings?

To finish off tonights report, here is on of the two underframes I am building in parallell:

Three nights of work produced the swan necks, installation of the couplers, preparing and installing of the spring/journalboxes and adding the journal box covers. Not to bad in my not so humble opinion!
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Your work is just gorgeous.

Did you use a lubricant when you drilled? I know virtually nothing about such things but remember reading about lubrication helping to preserve drill bits, cutters, and other tools.

Russ

Bill Gill

Watching with great enjoyment! It looks vey good. You got a lot done in a night.
I got some cheap Chinese bits for my pin vise and broke several drilling into plain old styrene - your bits may have been a large part of your breakage as well.

Allan G

I love what Hauk calls "a little progress"! Wonderful, beautiful, incredible progress.....Allan

lab-dad

I wish you modeled in 1/16th scale!
Stunning as always!
Marty

sbranstetter

Shawn Branstetter
shortlinemodelers.com