• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: Juke Joint on November 11, 2014, 03:51:33 PM
Awesome Hauk! How thick is the hinge pin wire?

Thanks!

The wire is 0.3mm (0,0118") nickel silver.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Some of the pics were missing for me too, but now they are back! This looks like it's going to work out!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jacq01

Harvard,

why not ose 0,3mm pianowire ?
nickel-silver is too soft for operating purposes.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Hauk

Quote from: jacq01 on November 11, 2014, 11:57:44 PM
Harvard,

why not ose 0,3mm pianowire ?
nickel-silver is too soft for operating purposes.

Jacq

There are going to be four hinges to each of the doors. And handling will be minimal, this is just a "show-off" feature, I do not plan to operate the cars in any model railroad like sense.
The strength of the wire used in the hinges is therefore of no concern. NS wire will be more than strong enough. The brass casting would probably break before the wire.

Piano wire is a dog to cut & solder, I  would not consider it except were great strength is needed. I considered using PW for the pantographs, but I used NS instead due to the ease of cutting, filing and soldering. So far the pantographs have hold up well.

But I should add that I handle my models as I would handle fragile glass objects...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Design-HSB

hi Hauk,
now I can finally see the happiness your pictures and so also only appreciate your great work.
I like to use spring-hard stainless steel for such joints.
With Griffon S-39 flux for soldering stainless steel can you even then.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Havard, I went back and read the last couple of pages again. The metal parts are superb, of course, but I thought of another idea for coloring the wood: Pastel chalks. If you can't recreate Chuck's technique, try rubbing pastels directly onto stained wood. If you grind the stick to a point (or find a pastel pencil) you can do precise work and leave areas with no chalk where the paint has "peeled". It's very easy and the red color will be opaque. See if you like the appearance. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on November 12, 2014, 12:02:14 PM
Havard, I went back and read the last couple of pages again. The metal parts are superb, of course, but I thought of another idea for coloring the wood: Pastel chalks. If you can't recreate Chuck's technique, try rubbing pastels directly onto stained wood. If you grind the stick to a point (or find a pastel pencil) you can do precise work and leave areas with no chalk where the paint has "peeled". It's very easy and the red color will be opaque. See if you like the appearance. -- Russ

I did use crayons for coloring my H0 scale warehouse, but I am hesitant to use the technique for the ore cars.

The reason is that the brass parts are going to be glued to the wood, and I do not think that glue will stick well to  a crayon colored surface.

I am unsure if a painted or stained surface is best. In the pictures the sides look rather smooth with little grain showing.  So a painted surface might be better.

Leaving the decision for later, I have spent the time working more on my drilling techniques. As I might have mentioned, i broke a lot of drills trying to drill the necessary holes in the castings. Things go better now, and I am much more optimistic regarding the drilling. The key to success is holding the parts firmly in place and correctly aligned. I does not take a genius to work this out, but I still fumbled a bit...

I felt rather smart figuring out how to straighten out the sometimes rather bent castings. I use a pice of stripwood against the detailed side of the castings, and a solid piece of steel on the backside. I then use another piece of steel to make a steel-wood-brass-steel sandwich (yummy) and gives it a good pressing in my arbor press.

The wood is also a good handle for sanding the back of the castings smooth.

Small steps, indeed, but I was seriously fearing that drilling the castings would turn out to be practically impossible, so I am happy with this modest progress!

Hopefully, more interesting images will follow soon!
Regards, Hauk
--

5thwheel

For drilling with fine drills I make my own holder by mounting a piece of 1/8" brass rod in a collet and drilling a simi-deep hole in the end of it. I was surprised that I was able to drill 1/4" deep hole withy out breaking the drill, just dumb luck I say.  I then turn the rod to a point.  I break off the back end of the drill bit to expose as much drill as I want and then superglue it in. The picture shown is longer than I usually use because it had to go through both hubs.  Usually I use about 1/8" to 1/4" length. I rarely have drill breakage.  If one breaks just heat up the rod and remove the broken drill and glue in another one.  In drilling holes that small it is just peck and pull,peck and pull etc. Lots of lube too.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

This is one of the drills.  It is longer than I usually make.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

Quote from: 5thwheel on November 15, 2014, 10:42:44 PM
This is one of the drills.  It is longer than I usually make.

Nice work!
In fact, I tried something similar, but I had absolutely no luck in drilling a deep enough hole in the brass holder.

When I found cheap drill bits with thick shanks on eBay, I went for those. Even if this is probably not high-end stuff (Made in China), at $ 6,- for 10 drills including postage, I can afford to buy a few extra.

I am not even sure if the drills that I buy from CNC-Plus in Germany at around three time the cost are not the same drill bits. 
Regards, Hauk
--

5thwheel

Sounds like a good deal on the drills.  I'm enjoying following this. Nice work.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

Recent work on the project has mostly consisted of drilling and swearing, vigirously brushing with fibreglass brushes and handeling rather poisonous chemicals. In other words, preparing & blackening the brass parts.

But I have also gotten the artwork for the etchings done. Drawing etching artwork is one of the things I consider a real drag, and I am really happy that I have a first version ready for a test etch.

Fingers crossed for receiving the etch in time for the christmas holiday!
Regards, Hauk
--

5thwheel

Hauk,

The following photo may look out go place but bear with me.  This is a heater I made in 1/12th scale I needed deep detail so I made my etching drawings so they could be laminated.  By stacking up each etching on another and soldering them together I was able to get detail that did not look like etchings.  For laminating I used lead solder paste on each piece and sandwiched them together between two aluminum blocks and hooked them up to my resistance soldering.  If you do not have resistance soldering equipment then make the blocks a little longer and drill and tap holes at each end to make a clamp and heat them with a torch.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

finescalerr

Clever and successful. Thanks for the tip. -- Russ

Hauk

The test-etchings arrived in good time for christmas!

The best moment during the process of making etchings is just after you have unpacked a fresh sheet, and before you have started cutting loose parts and discovering all your mistakes...

This is how far I got tonight:

And indeed, there are things to correct!
Regards, Hauk
--