• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

Fantastic work!  :o :o
I love etched brass when ever I can use it, I've been working with a friend and we've been making our own, there are a lot of steps, but it's gotten a lot easier now, are results are more successful. I also use resistance soldering and when working on projects that have multiple joints or welds, I count how many there will be and then I figure the lowest setting to accomplish the task, then I solder the first piece at the highest temp and lower the temp each time a tenth of a watt until the task is completed, each time lowering will allow the last piece soldered  not to un solder its self. Also heat sinks are a great help. There is little heat build up unlike traditional pencil soldering, but the piece gets hot! Carr's low melt solder works great on white metal parts and their low melt flux is a must.  Also you can use different grades of solder, every time I can find a new brand I buy some, each run is slightly different, they have different silver contents meaning they have different temperature values. Whether resistance or traditional try it, practice on some scrap, it's not that hard and you'll love the results.
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

Gil, that was actually helpful. Are you feeling okay? -- ssuR

Bill Gill

Hauk, I have followed your projects for while and admire both your precise and aesthetic techniques.

Ray Dunakin

Great work, it's like a little piece of jewelry.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Thanks for all the kind comments!

A few morewords on my soldering techniques. As I have mentioned before, I use a RSU (Resistance Soldering Unit) almost exclusively. For soldering I use a 60-40 Lead/tin soldering cream. This cream contains its own water-soluble flux, and is the best flowing solder I have tried. And believe me, I have tried a few!

Here are the basic components for most structural joints on the underframe:

As the holidays approach real fast, I have to hang up my soldering iron for a few days, so this is the last image for a while.

It is starting to look a little as a underframe at least! And I promise to clean my fingernails for the holidays...

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Hauk

Quote from: artizen on December 21, 2014, 03:04:25 PM
Modelling jewellery!

Thanks!

With the holidays out of the way, we can go back to the regular program.

Tonight the darn thing rolled. As I like to play a bit with my models, I want them to be operating. So it was great to see that the springing systems work, and that the wheels are free rolling. The springing system is not my idea, I bought a similar kit in 00 gauge and reverse engineered it. The inventor of this springing/compensating concept is an englishman named Bill Bedford. It is a well proved concept that is used a lot in the UK. It is simple and reliable, and as I probably will never sell a kit I did not hesitate to copy the design. I was more unsure about  the bearing. This is just a hole the etch, and the axle is riding in the hole with no bearing of any sort.  The axles are just turned down to a smaller diameter at then ends, they are not pinpointed or anything fancy. Erik Olsen that custom-made the wheels was not too happy with me wanting this rather crude solution. But the wagon is suprisingly free rolling. And it was about time that those wheelsets got a decent spin after spending the last 13 years in a drawer!

Here are a few images fresh from he memory card:

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Adequately outstanding. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk,

that roll very much for vehicles, I would also consider.
But if you could integrate a small ball bearing it should go.
Very clean worked in any case from you and it shows once again the advantages of metal as a material.
I would be interested but also closer to the suspension.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Peter_T1958

Convincing work on that frame! And a great idea with that spring wire! So the leaf springs and axle boxes on the outside remain without function, if I understand right.
I can well imagine, that planning all those parts in advance needs a lot of know-how and experience...
Does the designer consider the final weight of the car? I suspect, that fact must have an effect on the lenght of the spring wire. Or is this experience too? ???

Congrats to your work,
Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on December 29, 2014, 07:11:48 AM
Convincing work on that frame! And a great idea with that spring wire! So the leaf springs and axle boxes on the outside remain without function, if I understand right.
I can well imagine, that planning all those parts in advance needs a lot of know-how and experience...
Does the designer consider the final weight of the car? I suspect, that fact must have an effect on the lenght of the spring wire. Or is this experience too? ???

Congrats to your work,
Peter

Thanks!

But the praise for the design goes to the inventor of the concept, Bill Bedford. I was inspired by this article: http://www.clag.org.uk/bb-w-irons.html

The length of the wire will indeed affect the springing. But it is much easier to tune the cars by using different diameters of the guitar string used for the springs. I used 0.009" string for my car, but I don't think it will be stiff enough when the body of the car is added. So I will try some slightly thicker springs. Guitar strings comes in a lot of different thicknesses, so it is possible to fine-tune the springing of the cars.

This is a 00-scale kit (1/76) that I sort of reverse engineered:

As you can see, this design is  little more fancy than mine as it includes a turned bronze bearing to be used with pinpoint axles.
Probably a bit more freerolling than mine, but as I mentioned, I am very happy with the rolling characteristics  of my cars.
Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Now everything becomes clear. Thank you for the link!
Can't wait for the next update...

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

Hauk,

it's a pleasure to see this come together. The springing system works doubtless, but I'm sure you'd have managed to model working leaf springs from phosphorus bronze. What was the reason for compromising at this point?

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on December 30, 2014, 03:06:40 AM
Hauk,

it's a pleasure to see this come together. The springing system works doubtless, but I'm sure you'd have managed to model working leaf springs from phosphorus bronze. What was the reason for compromising at this point?

Volker

Time. I plan to model an entire train of these cars (≈9 cars), even if I never build a layout. Using etched fold-up beams is another compromise. Milled brass profiles gives optimal results, but would have taken much longer.

My modeling hero Erik Olsen built rolling stock with working leaf springs, functional rivets (no soldering!), beams made from commercial brass profils filed down to exact cross-section. I would love to build my cars this uncompromising way, but I lack the time, patience and skills.

Take a look at Eriks articles, there is a lot to learn here:
http://www.modelbaneteknik.dk/model/vogn/vogn-e.htm

It is the gold standard of 0-scale scratch building in my opinion.
Regards, Hauk
--