• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on January 08, 2015, 11:40:04 PM
Quote from: Hauk on January 08, 2015, 01:03:23 PM
A complete evening were spent on these parts, each shoe are built up from 3 pieces. A lot of cleaning up after soldering was necessary.

Hauk,

where will the insulation be located to avoid short circuits if the brake shoes touch the wheels? I decided to have printed brake shoes for my Rollwagen, but maybe your parts' dimensions are to thin for that.

Cheers,
Volker

That is a very good question! A 3D-printed brake shoe is a good idea, I will look into it.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

mad gerald

mspaw

I wonder if i could cnc mill them for you? Do you have 2d drawings of the parts?

Amazing build and im truly in awe of the craftsmanship, and skill you have. Id love to build one im so inspired.

All the best!

-Michael

Hauk

Quote from: mspaw on January 11, 2015, 11:31:25 AM
I wonder if i could cnc mill them for you? Do you have 2d drawings of the parts?

Amazing build and im truly in awe of the craftsmanship, and skill you have. Id love to build one im so inspired.

All the best!

-Michael

Thanks a lot for the kind words and the kind offer!
I have ordered some 1" diameter black delrin rod, and my plan is to turn a ring with the profile of the brake shoe. On the outside of the ring I will turn a narrow slot for an etched piece. This way I will get an non-conductive brake shoe that can be mounted real close to the wheel.

But I might very well have some other projects that would be suited for CNC-milling....

When the next version of the etched sheet is ready, I would be happy to sell the etches as a "Scratchbuilding aid". But there will be no further instructions than the this thread!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

No substantial progress to report. Instead of being productive, I have spent some time updating my blog. Feel free to take a look, and a comment would be much appreciated!
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

The latest progress. Working joints for the door mechanism has been made:

Some work have been done on the brake rigging as well:

Unfortunately, I have gotten some of the linkage parts wrong (the longest one should be turned 180 deg, for instance), so some corrections have to be made.

A most important question, by the way: Black or sky background for the images?
Regards, Hauk
--

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk,

I find the blue parts presents your best.
Meanwhile, I'm also looking for your blog in more detail.
So a classic homepage with a breakdown by topics would but I liked it even better.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous work!

The blue looks good to me.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

How many cars did you say you were going to build? That many? Will you finish them in your lifetime?

Stick with blue, usually a pretty neutral background for model photos. So far everything you've posted looks terrific.

Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on January 19, 2015, 12:06:06 AM
How many cars did you say you were going to build? That many? Will you finish them in your lifetime?

Enough for a decent train, that means 9 of this type. And yes, I will finish them!

Be realistic, demand the impossible, as they said in the sixties.
Regards, Hauk
--

Juke Joint

Checking your cars out, Awesome as usual!

Philip

Hauk

A little progress report. Most of the time spent since last time was one of those tasks that must be done, but is never to be seen. More precisely, I had to mill cavities into the back of the brass castings to make room for the axle ends.
I did this on a CNC because I have no access to a manual milling machine. A manual one would have been a lot faster for a simple job like this.

The castings for the springs/journals are not made especially for this project, by the way. They were bought years ago from a Swedish modeler named Erik Walde. Back then I head no experience with 3D printing or any other fancy stuff. So I tried to find parts that were commercial available for my projects. I have a lot of these castings, so I will try them on this first wagon that I consider sort of a prototype. I think it looks quite good, even if they are a bit light for the wagon:

Just to get a feeling for how the finished wagon will look, I staged a photo with the laser cut wooden body:

I was a little shocked by the effect, it is a fat little bugger. Cant wait to see how the final wooden body will look like!
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

Stunning work, once again!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I agree with Ray. I love every new development in this project. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on January 30, 2015, 12:16:05 AM
I agree with Ray. I love every new development in this project. -- Russ

Thanks for the kind words, both of you!

There have been expressed some concern about the lasercut body, but have no fear, I have not given up on the individual tongue & groove boards!

This is just a setup for the photo. With the underframe mostly completed, focus will shift back to the body as soon as the revised  artwork hs been sent to the etcher.
Regards, Hauk
--