• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden ore cars

Started by Hauk, February 15, 2014, 04:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fspg2

Hauck, I am always amazed at how you build your models. Just great !!!
Frithjof

Peter_T1958

Honestly, if I'd able to create such masterpieces, I would immediately become a railway modeler...  ::)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hauk

Not much progress lately, but I have at least assembled the first of the wooden hoppers. I roughed up the wood a bit before assembly but I should have taken more care in the process, it looks a bit, well intentionally roughed up. But as the contrast between the wood and metal parts is a bit high, the wagons will need some additional weathering. With some care and luck, this might blend everything together.

Closeup pictures is a harsh critic...
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Looks pretty good. Some weathering will help tie it all together.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I agree with Ray. You are probably too critical of your work at this point. The car will look very good when you are done. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on December 26, 2015, 12:02:27 AM
I agree with Ray. You are probably too critical of your work at this point. The car will look very good when you are done. -- Russ

I hope you are right!
Now I just have to start practicing with the airbrush, would hate to screw up by laying down a too heavy coat of ore and braking dust.
I have no closeup images of these wagons in service, but I am quite certain they would be dusty from the loading of ore from above.

And finding the right shade of gray for the dust from the roadbed/ballast is quite critical, it is the color that is going to tie everything together. This shade would be used on all rolling stock and scenery, and I need to get it right!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

lab-dad

Thats a sweet hot rod!
I also agree the weathering will tie it in good.
Just one comment-"dust" is not all one color.
I would go slowly with several subtle hues.
That way they will look similar but not all alike.
With your talent I foresee no problems.
Always a pleasure to see your work

Marty

Bill Gill

It's looking really good. I agree with Marty, dust isn't a single color. Also you might experiment with extremely thin washes with a brush. The color will run naturally down the sides and settle where rain would carry the dust and dirt in a way that an airbrush won't. You can pick up any excess color that settles in seams with an almost dry brush.

Peter_T1958

Hi HÃ¥vard
You know, I am a great admirer of your work and I am very impressed with such talent.
However, I also have the impression that the wooden planks look a little bit too much as roughened with sandpaper yet. But I am convinced, with the right quantity of weathering, finally this will look fantastic.

QuoteAlso you might experiment with extremely thin washes with a brush. The color will run naturally down the sides and settle where rain would carry the dust and dirt in a way that an airbrush won't.
I think it's good to proceed the weathering stage with caution. The more I try to do the weathering by airbrush I have to learn that this can be a double-edged sword and I am also tending more and more towards building up dust and dirt by washes (But of course I do not know if this works on real wooden planks ...)

For the military modeler there are some really good ready to use products available: MIG, Adam Wilder, Vallejo, ...

Cheers,
Peter

Sami

Peter_T1958

You are so right! I forgot to mention that ...

:-\ Peter

Hydrostat

Hauk,

that's some nice christmas surprise! The assembly looks very good and your former concerns about the fittings' surface quality have proven unfounded. But:

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on December 26, 2015, 05:41:17 AM
[...] However, I also have the impression that the wooden planks look a little bit too much as roughened with sandpaper yet. But I am convinced, with the right quantity of weathering, finally this will look fantastic.

I think Peter's right with the wood, besides that there's something else: To me the peel off effect looks a bit strange. I'd rather expect to see them planks painted with thick color layers and some or a lot of cracks in those layers. If there's peeled off color I'd expect greyish wood underneath rather than this fresh cut wood appearance. Looking at the black and white pictures from your very first post in this thread the fittings might be colored the same brown as the wood is.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it! This is the only place that offer constructive criticism!
I agree that the cracks should show grey and not fresh wood color.

I will experiment ( I do have some test pieces!) with a silverwood wash, it should affect the raw wood more than the painted areas.

Since last time I have assembled a second wagon. This one has working doors,  so I can pose my models just like the prototype shot:

Making the working hinges was a lot of hassle, so I might settle with one wagon with working doors. Its not like they are going to be operated like the real thing, they are nowhere smooth enough. But it looks quite good! Besides, a operating layout is not on the near horizon to put it mildly...
Regards, Hauk
--

1-32

hi nice wagons.
looking at them i feel that you have to finish a wagon and look at the finished result.to my eye the wood looks fine

Hauk

First, a little color test. The test piece leaning against  the car body has been given a full strength wiping of Silverwood.
In my opinion this tones down the red quite nicely, and the cracks does not look as fresh. On the actual parts I might dilute the Silverwood a little.

Second, a little distraction in the form of a work car. This is the closest the Thamshavnbanen ever came to a caboose. Even if it is not prototype at all, I think it will look real nice on the end of a ore train!

Regards, Hauk
--