• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Tank 116 - Lotsa Rivets

Started by Geoff Ringle, March 13, 2014, 02:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff Ringle

I received the new conical rivets that I persuaded Don Tichy to make.  These are .060 D. head with a 1/32 shank. The Tichy Train Group will now have a full line of conical rivets.  

More to come as the EBT 116 - Tank Car progresses....

SandiaPaul

Looks great...looking forward to seeing progress.

Paul
Paul

marc_reusser

Geoff, those look nice. Great to hear Tichy is adding them to their line. I definitely can use them.

Pease post progress on the car when you get a chance, would enjoy seeing more.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

They look beautiful!
Wish I would have known about these about a week ago...............
Looking forward to more images also.
-Mj

finescalerr

Thanks for the info, Geoff. Is the car for you or will it be a production model? -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Cool, there's always a need for good conical rivets. How do these compare with the conical rivets from Grandt Line?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Geoff nice rivet work. What scale is this model? I just placed my first order to Tichy for some .080" and .070" rivets. I think they have round heads. I am very happy to to see the .070" and.080" size rivets a nice addition to my palette of parts. I just ordered 40 packages so I hope they are as good as the Grandt Line castings.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

billmart

Quote from: Scratchman on March 14, 2014, 07:58:35 PM
I just placed my first order to Tichy for some .080" and .070" rivets. I hope they are as good as the Grandt Line castings.

Gordon Birrell

I think you will be very pleased with them, Gordon.  For my $ they are the best.  Usual disclaimer -- no financial interest, just a satisfied customer.

Bill Martinsen

Geoff Ringle

The 1:20.3 EBT Tank Car projects is taking shape quickly.   I am doing what the EBT did and outfitting one of my existing steel flat cars for the tank.
The tank is made from a ABS tube that has three .012" styrene wrappers.  The hole pattern for the rivets was laser etched.  To simulate the lapped seam where there is no wrapper (light grey bands) I used a cabinet scraper to create and blend the step.  Then a scrap of the styrene rivet pattern was used as a drilling template for the .060 D. conical rivets.

The Tichy rivets are crisply molded and have a sturdy stem.  I drill a 1/32 D. hole and the rivets pop in and stay.  I was tempted to just let the paint hold them in but decided to swipe them with styrene solvent.

Geoff Ringle

The new wood decking will run lengthwise and there will be a good deal of daylight between the tank support and the decking.  The frame and brake rigging details should show off nicely.

116 will have some of my new parts... nickle-silver anglecocks and hose clamps to go along with the magnetic ProtoHands - "working" gladhands. 
The valve handle is movable and has just enough friction to stay where you put it.  The "working" anglecock will add a nice bit of animation where you want to see the valve in the closed position.
The hose clamps slip on then a sidecutter is used to lightly crimp the band at the clamp (no glue needed).
Geoff

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Everything is adequate indeed and that air hose-gladhand assembly is truly disgusting. -- Russ

Scratchman

Very nice work Geoff. I got my Tichy rivets and it only took four days. I'm looking forward to the Conical rivets hope they offer the larger sizes and they are available soon. The Tichy castings are very good, and I am very happy to see the larger sizes..

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Geoff Ringle

Gorden, Tichy has them now.  I know he has .060, .070 and probably has the .080. 
You should call, as one never knows how quickly a web site will be updated.
Geoff