• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ponty Mine , Old South Wales .

Started by shropshire lad, March 15, 2014, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Construction is fairly self explanatory . I hope .

shropshire lad

The block shed won't be used on this section of the model . It will have to wait until part 3 .

shropshire lad

The loader will have to wait until part 3 as well . By then I might be competent enough to paint it properly .

danpickard

No complaints here Nick.  Block texture and colour looks pretty reasonable to me.  The nature of the cut down into the mine entrance lends itself to framing the scene quite nicely.  Thanks for the update pics.

Cheers,
Dan

Don Railton

Excellent job Nick.  I look forward to seeing further progress.  Especially that concrete block building.

Regards, Don

Ray Dunakin

Very nice, especially the block wall and building!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

Very nice. Even at this early stage your attention to detail is showing.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

The dirt on the track does help a bit. If I read the plan properly the grade would begin just where you have stopped modeling, right? This thing might actually be good ... someday. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on March 19, 2014, 01:03:09 AM
The dirt on the track does help a bit. If I read the plan properly the grade would begin just where you have stopped modeling, right? This thing might actually be good ... someday. -- Russ

I envisage this "little" diorama being built in probably 3 stages , with the incline and tippler coming next and the yard and office last . The idea is the bit I am working on can be finished off and become a stand alone piece . I think I will be expect to be on layout duty after this is done , so the other two sections will have to wait .

I wasn't aiming my sights as high as " good" , " quite good " is probably the best I can hope for .

Now , if only there was a high quality magazine that I could submit an article to , it would be all worth while .

Nick

Design-HSB

Hi Nick,

I like the mine train motif very well.
I build indeed still on my model mine "Klosterstollen".

Very good work.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

lab-dad

Nice to see your work again Sir.
The scene is very nice, I like it!

How did you bend the arched "I" beams at the openings?
Are they 3 pieces or one?
Styrene or?

-Mj

TRAINS1941

That's some fine looking work Sir Nick.  Looking forward to seeing future installments.

Sure would make a nice feature article in a top rated magazine!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

I thought I heard some grumbling about magazines. Hmmm. I just completed page layout on the final NG Annual; only proofing and printing to disk remain.

Ever since I announced the end of paper publishing the abrupt termination of phone calls and e-mail was as though I had died. And maybe I have.

Russ

BKLN

I like this unromantic approach. There is none of that cute old time romance that surrounds many mining layouts. Your choice of materials and layout looks very authentic and disturbing in a nice way. This is some serious blue collar modeling! (again)
I also love how well the tracks disappear into the ground. Excellent!

Christian

shropshire lad

Thanks for the favourable comments . Most welcome .

Now , Young Marty , you weren't really paying attention in class , now were you ? As previously stated I enrolled the help of Barney  "Mr. Styrene " to make the arched "I" beams . What I didn't say is that he constructed them using three pieces per beam . By far the easiest way of making them .

Well , Russ , the lack of emails and phone calls only goes to re-enforce the widespread belief that we only loved you for your comics and not yourself !

Nick