• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1920 MacDonald Model O, 5-Ton, Low-Bed Truck

Started by Scratchman, August 23, 2008, 07:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

The plans are in the January/February 1991 Gazette The photos shows my 1:24 scale model with the engine not being modeled  this truck was built around 15 years ago. I'm going to do a 1:16 scale model now and since Al Armitage went into such great detail on the engine I will be modeling it on this new model. The drive chain is closer to the 1:16 scale model and the wheels will be the most difficult part to model. The more I look at the plans, the more I get excited to get started. 

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Beautiful and impressive work as always Gordon. Looking forward to the thread/SBS on this.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

Here is the first pics of the 1/16" scale MacDonald: the bed, head board, side boards with the fenders, stake pockets with stakes and the rear axle. The two channels coming off the front of the bed is the rest of the frame and will be the next step along with the front and back wheels. One of the photos is showing the fender blank wrapped around a piece of tube, sitting in hot water. After a few minutes, run it under cold water and remove the rubber bands. Make the blank longer than needed and trim on both ends.

Gordon Birrell

Scratchman

Here's two photos of the rear wheels these wheels are not very close to the prototype but are as close as I could get them I will talk about them when I get the front wheels made.

Gordon Birrell

Franck Tavernier

Awesome job Gordon! Very impressive work...

I believe that I will turn over to make seam? ;) :D :D :D

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Looking wonderful as always.....I really enjoy seeing these projects of yours come together, and seeing/learning how you go about it making the parts and details.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Belg

Gordon, like Marc I always enjoy seeing your work and now really want to thank you for showing us how you accomplish some of the tasks. I would really love to see even some of the smaller things like the hubcap broken down to see how they are created. Thanks so much Pat

TRAINS1941

Gordon,

Thanks for the learning process.  Can't wait for the next lesson.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Gordon, as always, I stand aghast.

Lest you forget, if you can't fashion an assembly yourself, remember you have friends with CAD, others with lasers, and others with milling and/or CNC machinery.

-- Russ

chester

Thank you for sharing another marvelous build Gordon. And the making of the bicycle type fenders is a handy tip.

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments. Here are two photos of the front part of the frame with the power take-off to the capstan. The capstan and the four small pulleys are from Ozark Miniatures and the belts are ship modelers rope. Just the rest of the suspension and front wheels, this first section will be done and as soon as the last coats of dull coat has dried for a few days I will add some oil washes.

Gordon Birrell

finescalerr

Somebody really ought to publish your modeling, Gordon. -- Russ

jacq01

Russ,

nothing for you ????
  you have published over the years a number of those more than outstanding models.
  These models do have a quality that is better than required by most musea.
  Editing a special of all or most of  Gordons models with construction details and tips
  must be a very very rewarding task.
  Please consider it..

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Gordon,

Beautiful work!!

Russ you should consider doing books on modeling technique's & tips.  You certainly have a hell of a list of people to choose from.
Would be worth thinking about!  No one would be able to do it better than you.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Jacq, I was kidding about publishing Gordon's model. I have published articles on almost every model he has built in the past few years.

Jerry, maybe you are kidding ME, because (for those who don't already know) the December Modelers' Annual is a book exclusively about modeling tips and techniques. That is why so many articles include step-by-step instructions, usually highlighted by a light colored box or by colored type. Gordon, Chuck Doan, Marty Jones, Marc, and even I (among others) have articles in this December's book.

Russ