• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35th scale modelling

Started by LesTindall, July 30, 2014, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Let me get this straight, Dr. Reusser: Are you suggesting the NMRA, and vast majority of model railroad hobbyists along with most of the model railroad industry and probably all of its press, are something less than clear thinking, mature, logical, talented, intelligent gentlemen? Why would you think such a thing?

Hmmm. Maybe that's why I've abandoned the hobby .....

Russ

P.S.: Coincidentally I had a discussion about this subject earlier today with a former advertiser who feels as we do. He was delighted to hear my comments and why I have chosen to divorce myself from that bunch of hopeless nincompoops.

This isn't a protected page. I wonder whether my words will return to haunt me? Oh, what shall I do?

narrowgauger

Hi Guys

just to keep you aware that there are those among us who like swimming against the tide and will continue to expand the range of 35th scale loco's and rolling stock with emphasis on 600mm gauge industrial prototypes.

However keeping in tune with whole WWI revival theme we will be producing Baldwin 35hp 600mm gauge (i.e. 16.5mm) gas mechanical trench loco.  The model will be 90% brass and powered 12v DC or with 3.7v on-board battery TrainworxOz radio control.  Total production will be limited to 20 units.

At the moment we have available 2 uncommitted SKM Ns2f 0-4-0 centre flycrank industrial diesel from a run of eight units.  Also ether 12v DC or radio control battery power.  colour and weathering to the buyer's choice.  By the way the SKM Ns2f is also available in 32nd scale to order.

Stay in tune to the Hesketh Scale Models website for further announcements on the Baldwin Gas Mechanical and some other interesting WWI items in the pipe line

as always any specific info direct email will bring answers

have fun & stay cool
BernardS

LesTindall

Ray Dunakin

I love the colors and weathering on that loco in the prototype photo.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Oh, is that a prototype photo? I thought Bernard already had built the model.... -- Russ

MT Hopper

I will make a rare foray out from my lurking and suggest scalelink.co.uk in the UK have a 1/32nd scale Hunslet 4-6-0 runs on 16.5 mm guage track and a Pechot-Bourdon  0-4-4-0T plus a Simplex and assorted WWI WDLR wagons. All listed in their online catalogue under WWI Grande Guerre. Resuming normal lurking.

Will
From the Heart of the Continent

narrowgauger

Hi Russ,

yes, I did build one.  Here it is before the side panels were attached.

all the gear under the hood is radio control, battery & gearhead motor.  Running time on battery exceeded 5 hours at the time the shot was taken.

stay cool
BernardS

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MT Hopper

I forgot to mention Blitz-kit.fr. They have a 1-35 scale Country Jitney 60 Locomotive and will apparently be releasing a 1-35 scale WWI Baldwin set so far for October 2014 release. Plus a variety of 1-35 scale French wagons. Usual disclaimer applies here.

Cheers from the Heart of North America
Will
p.s. Yes I am one of `THOSE model railroad people

LesTindall

Thanks for that Will.  Its always difficult to find some of those "obscure" manufacturers who might just offer what is needed. I love those WW1 Baldwins so will keep an eye on this web-site.

Les

Lawton Maner

Given that this is the start of the centenary of the "Great War" I am not in the least surprised that there are models of the 60cm trench warfare equipment being offered.  Over the next few years, I predict, there will be a number of WWI dioramas produced by the military modeling fraternity.  Just my $0.02 worth.

MT Hopper

Ooops! I meant October 2015 for the Baldwin.

Will

nk

Quote from: finescalerr on July 31, 2014, 01:07:40 AM
I think you are hoping for the impossible, Les. Back in the mid-'90s, Gary Raymond (the metal wheel manufacturer) and I, along with a few others, tried very hard to establish 1:32 as a commercial scale. The idea was to develop exact 1:32 "AAR" standards for track and wheels, encourage the manufacture of some small logging and industrial locos and rolling stock, and direct more attention to such high quality standard gauge models as collectors bought.

Logic and reason failed. First Aristo-Craft and then USA Trains chose 1:29 scale on Gauge 1 track (an idiotic combination) because the size was "closer to LGB". The moronic "garden railroaders" eagerly gobbled up 1:29 because it was relatively cheap. The concept of 1:32 narrow gauge utterly escaped the grasp of their feeble and juvenile minds.

Worse, when the NMRA drafted Gary and me to create large scale standards, they torpedoed all of our meticulous work and began quibbling. To this day there is no real NMRA standard for any large scale. I quit the NMRA in disgust. Gary, after twenty-two years, still struggles to push something through.

I will suggest to you what I have suggested to everybody who ever broached the idea of modeling in 1:32 or 1:35: BUILD IT YOURSELF. That is what the hobby is about -- not buying ready made parts or models. Nobody ever listens to that suggestion because it requires too much effort. And they are still waiting for somebody to produce a 1:32 scale plastic GP9 or two cylinder narrow gauge Shay ....

Russ

Thank you Russ for telling it like it is. You brought a smile to me face, and reminds me why I make all my own stuff...unless of course someone from this forum is kind enough to share their excellent handiwork.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Franck Tavernier

Blitz, as mentioned above, will release a 50HP Baldwin of the first world war, in 1:35 scale, that can be powered, in early 2015, probably in January, photos of prototype :

Don't forget Mark Hesketh, with its stunning models, in 1:35 scale too :

http://www.heskethscalemodels.com/

Enjoy!

Franck

finescalerr

Thanks for the inspiration. -- Russ