• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New York Street Scene

Started by Joel Freedman, November 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Looks great!
What about 2' of stairs/steps going down in front of the left door?
(then lengthening the bottom of it)
mj

Joel Freedman

Great idea Marty but I already broke down the door. Ah well. It's rebuilt now and I've added a cement base with some tiles for the entrance.

Also painted the fire escape. I was going to paint it black with some rust peeking through but I think I like it as is. Thoughts?

Joel Freedman

Today I built a mailbox from scratch. It uses 37 separate styrene pieces all hand cut except the letters. It's not perfect but I'm still pleased. The street waste basket was made from scotch tape and tulle (wedding veil). It clearly needs some paint touch ups but it's a start.

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that mailbox is especially nice! What did you use for the raised lettering?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Joel Freedman on February 19, 2015, 02:09:11 PM
Also painted the fire escape. I was going to paint it black with some rust peeking through but I think I like it as is. Thoughts?

Hi Joel,

yes. I think you used instant rust or something for that? For me this always seems far to thick/coarse for small scales (and even the bigger ones): It rather tends to look like metal parts buried in a wet mine for 40 years or so. I never used it by myself and so don't know if it works, but maybe you can reduce it with a glass fiber pencil down to the 'pigments'. If it's completely removable i would start with black color as you intended in the beginning and then use some gouache for the rust stains.

Thiose tiny items are amazing. The tulle works very well.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Joel Freedman

Ray,
They are a small set of styrene letters I used for the "Knishes" sign in the first storefront.

Volker - thanks for pointing out what I refused to acknowledge. Really it would have been condemned with that much rust but it is a lovely effect. Ok I'll rework it. I still like some texture but it is a bit much.

TRAINS1941

Joel

Very nice on those details.  Your doing a fine job so far.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Joel Freedman

Thanks Jerry. I got a couple of hydrants in the mail today. I ordered them from Shapeways and voila! Quite amazing detail. They are slightly different as I wanted to see if it makes a difference ordering the more expensive "Plastic" which supposedly captures better detail. No question it does but it has a rough finish and the paint stuck so well that it was difficult to peel the paint. Also there are metallic flecks that show through the paint.

Also painted some lampposts. real problem here is that they are not supposed to light and I wanted them working. I could drill through the bottom half but then the plastic became too thin. I Drew the wires to the surface and cut a small channel. Ran the wires to the top and filled it with putty. Sanded and painted.

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

All are 3-D prints, huh? That's certainly a positive harbinger of what we may expect to become commonplace. -- Russ

Joel Freedman

Actually I forgot to mention I added some chain as in the prototype but yes the level of detail is remarkable, I love the nuts and bolts on the underside.

The Lamppost was from a Miniart kit but I'm sure it could have been made by 3D printing.

Gordon Ferguson

Joel, could you let me know which hydrant you ordered from Shapeways, there are several different one from different designers so was a bit wary but yours look good .

Thanks
Gordon

Joel Freedman

Hi Gordon,
It was From Matt's Scale Model parts and is in 1/35. I wish shapeways had a simple program so you could buy any of their products and just put in the scale and the 3D model would be changed accordingly. Lots of beautiful stuff.

Anyway, a busy weekend up here. Finished the third storefront and started on the forth and final one. I still have the lights and interiors to work out but making strides.

Ray Dunakin

Great stuff. I love the wood-grain detail in that close up photo. Those storefronts would look right at home in NYC or in a Nevada mining town!

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Another good day. I used some stock pieces of laser etched basswood to build the first of my three major buildings. More of a practice as it is only an 1/4 of a building. This will go over the mahogany wood storefront which will be a music store. Still toying with an interior as it is so close to the diorama's edge.