• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New York Street Scene

Started by Joel Freedman, November 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Freedman

Well I worked a bit on my first storefront and did the street elevator. I have to tone down the yellow but it's a start. The railings are wire and styrene and a bit of tape.

marc_reusser

Cobble installation around NYC manholes.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

First window done. Took about 18 separate pieces but I like the peeling paint. 7 more windows to go (for this structure then another 17 for the rest).

Joel Freedman

Marc,
Thanks, nice picture. Obviously I've let my manhole covers get a bit too rusty. I'll see if I can rework them a bit. Too late to repave the stones I'm afraid.

Bill Gill

In the 'First window done' post, did anyone else at first see the optical illusion that the brick arch over the window appeared to be recessed below the surface of the rest of the wall and all the mortart lines appeared to stand proud of the bricks? Happened because the light was aimed from the bottom of the wall upward but our vision is programmed is expect light source from above. Took a minute to sort it out.

Nice wall and window.

Ray Dunakin

Yeah, I got that optical "delusion" too at first glance.

Ray Dunakin's World

billmart

Happened to me, too, but now that I know what it's supposed to look like, I can't get the image to "snap" back to when it looked like the arch was recessed.  Brains are weird.

Bill Martinsen

5thwheel

It was fine until you told us, not all I see is recessed arch and raised mortar.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Joel Freedman

Well finished all the windows and used frosted "glass" in the bathrooms.  The picture has the sunlight from the top to avoid the optical illusion. The electrical stuff is just a bunch of odds and ends glued to the wall.

I put a foil alarm trigger on the window of the shop. I tried with real foil but couldn't get it to look right so I just masked of the area and sprayed some silver paint. The "foil" may be a bit wide as I remember it being more like 1/2" or even a cm wide.

Ray Dunakin

The foil alarm sensor is a nice touch.

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Decided the music shop will have burglar bars too so I made a set. 91 pieces of styrene but pretty simple really. Still have to add the hasp and lock

Ray Dunakin

Cool. Got any pics of how you made that?

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

No real secret here Ray. I looked at a nice model version by Randy hage. But I wanted mine openn like the HO scale vector Cut one so IO enlarged that picture to 1/35 then I cut the 9 vertical strips from .01x.03 styrene and glued on the top rail then put some tape on it to hold while I flipped it over. I cut about 50 small strips for the crisscrosses and glued them to the back. then i added the rivets to the front and voila. Took less than an hour but it should look good.

Joel Freedman

Ok installed the burglar bars and the lock. Also added an ornate clock and finished the window interior. Also remodelled upstairs a bit too.