• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New York Street Scene

Started by Joel Freedman, November 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Joel very nice.  Some nice detail work in the windows so far.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

That's looking good! I like all the old photos, signs, etc in the windows.

BTW, I'm only guessing at the name of that pipe!   

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on December 08, 2014, 09:23:05 PM
That's looking good! I like all the old photos, signs, etc in the windows.

I second that. The yellowish worn/dirty aluminum effect of the window frame is extremely convincing. I'd like to nitpick a bit at (about?) the lamella of the air conditioning, which look somewhat coarse and arbitraryly positioned.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

BKLN

Very nice, Joel!
As a New Yorker, I can't wait to see more!

Christian

Joel Freedman

I did a little more work on the windows and started the electrical. The louvres in front of the air conditioner are a bit off. I wanted them slightly wonky but ended up with a bit more of a cartoonish look. Most of it will be covered with the electrical conduit and the sign so hopefully it becomes less apparent.

The trays are tinfoil bent over a rectangle of styrene and the knishes and buns are fimo. Haven't played with this stuff since my kids were small. I airbrushed a bit of brown and put a dab of gloss coating on. The icing is white paint.

finescalerr

I think you got white paint on your knishes.

This is coming together well.

Russ

Design-HSB

Hi Joel, this is absolutely realistic and I would be delighted if you could a little more detail report on the origin of Datails.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Joel Freedman

Hi Helmut,
I'm glad you like it. It's certainly not the best on this forum but for a first try to build in styrene I'm quite pleased. Not sure which details you want to know about. So far everything is scratch built from styrene except the signs and photos in the window. Those are taken from actual photos of the shop and then shrunk to 1/35. Printed on glossy paper and then sprayed with dullcote. The edges are touched up after cutting out and thinning the paper (I split the paper so a layer peels off the back leaving a very thin photo which I further thin by sanding). The picture frames are styrene as is the edging around the "Open" sign.

The only real interesting details are the racks, trays and baked goods which are styrene, tin foil (the thick stuff from a tray of takeout lasagna) and Fimo modelling  clay in beige and brown.

If there are details I missed, ask away.

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that really looks great! What kind of metallic paint did you use on the exterior?

Ray Dunakin's World

Joel Freedman

Alclad aluminum. Airbrushed on and then when cured I did a wash with AK dark brown and winter streaking grime. Most of the wash was wiped off and what you see is what I got.

Joel Freedman

A little work on the side door. All styrene except the grate which is brass, the hinge plate is laserboard and the conduit which is wire. The light does work (micro LED).
The keypad and sign were copied, sanded and glued in place. The sign is also "taped" in place with 4 very small bits of clear decal paper.
The hinge detail is visible too.

Joel Freedman

Well I haven't been idle but not the progress I'd hoped for. I need to work on the brick walls and have tried various techniques including plaster casting and carving from styrofoam. Unfortunately they all look a bit too cartoony in my coarse hands. I ordered some O scale brick sheets from Moster Model Works. They are laser cut bass wood and hopefully I'll have better results. meanwhile a bit of work on some details.

Here is bicycle #1 from the Tamyia kit with brass etching upgrades.

Ray Dunakin

Nice! I wish they made those in 1/24th scale.

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Nice!
Ray,
I'm hoping to build one in 1/16th....................
-Mj

TRAINS1941

Quote from: lab-dad on December 18, 2014, 05:45:57 AM
Nice!
Ray,
I'm hoping to build one in 1/16th....................
-Mj

You on a bike you can hardly walk without falling over!!!!! :D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin