• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

WD Titan 10-20 HP Tractor in 1/35th

Started by Barney, February 18, 2015, 01:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Bill - before I started the heat I rolled the H beam over some 3/4in tube to get the curve started then used an hair drier for a heat source in this case on the H beams - close gives you plenty of heat - move it away a bit and it becomes less - I tried it on channel first but it just twisted but the H beam has more strength in it but the back flange has to be cut off after cooling in the jig - it was all experiment with a little bit of hope ! and much swearing but it did the trick in the end - I found Plastuct not very good seemed brittle - but the evergreen much softer - I also tried a tube /rod type bender (often used as a rail bender) made it out of LEGO using 3 wheels a bit of heat again from the hair dryer and the results were good but not to good for an upward bend on the Titan tractor - better used just for a bend in a chassis - I hope it all makes a bit of sense I had many failures just for just a simple job as I thought at the beginning
Barney

A good example of a bender is on the KB Scale narrow gauge site http://www.kbscale.com/track-parts.html look under RB01 Bender I just made it bigger in Lego

Bill Gill

Thanks Barney. I had tried a heat gun on "low" and held at a distance but it was much too hot. Hot water was so-so. Holding over an electric stove element was painful and hard to control. I like your use of Legos and your Lego tube bender is another fine example of that. Thanks.

Sami

Barney

A short update on the build - Mudguards now fitted + Transmission /gear box some detailing with Tichy & Grandt Line bolts and Nuts

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Barney

AN ATEMPT TO SEND A PHOTO WITH NO Fotki

Barney

Well that did not work - no Photo -back to the drawing board

Barney

Try again

Barney

EUREKA - by jove I think I'v cracked it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barney

Barney

just trying one more

Barney

I hope that will please Mr Russ and I hope I can remember how to do it !
Barney
And thanks Bill for all the help

Ray Dunakin

Is that a steam tractor or some kind of early diesel?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Thank you for taking the trouble to post those photos the hard way! --Russ

Barney

Ray thats the one Im building - its a Paraffin (Kerosene) 4 stroke engine -petrol is used to start it
The tank at the front is the radiator just loads of water does the cooling - crude but it worked !
Barney