• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

flat pack in 1-35 scale and dapto dogs.

Started by 1-32, June 25, 2015, 03:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi all .
my new workshop is finished so back to it.
in my last post i mentioned that i wanted to build a flat pack model to travel with.well here is the track plan.
this whole project is small but still using a large scale of 1-35.the track is 9 mm gauge using shinohara 150 mm or 6 inch radius turnouts.the base board is now smaller 300mm  or 12 inches wide and 470mm long or 17 inches long the type of motive power is basically a lawn mower on wheels basic operation is possible.
i have the idear in my mind and i like it,i think there will be no more than 9 pieces in the kit.
one interesting consideration that has come up is airport security.rocking up with bits that have wires hanging out of them will most likely end up with me going to jail.so either i post it or it travels in my big bag in the hold.with good packing i cant see that these options would be a problem.more to come
kind regards kim

finescalerr

Kim, that "siding" looks as though it won't hold more than one tiny industrial loco and a very short car. Will it work for what you're planning? -- Russ

Design-HSB

Hi Kim,

I'm curious how it goes on and especially I would be happy to see it next year live in Germany.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

danpickard

Hi Kim,
When you mentioned this idea for the project previously, I started picturing in my head what you were going to do with it, so now that it's started, I'm going to be interested to see if it turns out remotely like I could imagine you doing.  Great to see the modelling space ready to go again and will look forward to how this all comes together.

Cheers,
Dan

Barney

Just started dabbling in this Gauge 9mm in 1/35th myself - Battery box locos in and out of mines also looked at a few "Lawn Mowers on narrow gauge" type things. Can any one tell me were about on this forum a video or possible You Tube of a similar narrow gauge loco pulling something like wooden fence post possibly about a year ago.
Im thinking of using Peco Crazy track of the 009 type way over scale for 009 but measures nice for 1/35th works out about 12" gauge
Barney

1-32

hi all thank you for your posts.
russ how are you i hear that you have taken up fishing in your retirement-the track plan is fine in fact i might have to make it a bit smaller.last night i bought a hard shell hand luggage suit case.it just does not fit i forgot that the case has round corners.the curved section is behind the back drop operation is simple-small train comes onto the scene engine run around train exits.
i will be using the german brand minitrains yes it is n scale tiny compared to a 1-35 scale figure.minitrains have high class mechanisms and simple pulse controllers that are very light and most important have simple transformers that work off off 12 volt nains plug in power.
the hard part is to get the engine and rolling stock to scale out in 1-35 scale to do this i will build a full size example out of cardboard in the lounge room yes i live alone
kind regards kim

Barney

Found it a 240 mm track gauge with lawn mower on wheels thing hauling log trucks - LOOK at WEIMIBAHN 240mm

Author   Topic: 1/16 scale light industrial railway with prototype gauge 10.25"  (Read 1908 times)
mad gerald

Restless Native

1/16 scale light industrial railway with prototype gauge 10.25"
« on: October 06, 2012, 02:40:25 AM »
G'day all,

dabbling with Feldbahn modelling in 1/16 scale for some time I finally decided to do it.

It's going to be a little Feldbahn/supply railway for agricultural/estate and/or workshop purposes with a prototype gauge of 10.25", within 16,25 (16,5) mm track in 1/16 scale.

A lot of Feldbahnen, light industrie or minimum railways can be found worldwide:

10 and a Quarter Inch Gauge Railway Society *klick*

The Weimibahn (240 mm) *klick*

The Wigwell Light Railway *klick*

A Ns1 loco in scale 1/2 *klick*

Even in Spain *klick*

and at Wolds Way Lavender *klick* the harvest is collected and being transported by train, even on 7,25" track ...

My Feldbahn/supply railway is not going to be a downscaled model of any existing prototype. It's going to be a realistic, kinda "home-made" railway, how it would have been built by an owner of a 10.25 light railway ... but in my case only a 1/16 scale model of it.

1/16 is huuuuuuuge, compared i. e. to scale 1/22,5 modelling!

But IMHO the choice of 1/16 is not so bad ... au contraire ... it has a lot to commend it, because
- At first it feels very comfortable regarding aging eyes and fingers
- one could use common 16,5mm track, if one does not like to lay track by hand
- the smallest reported radius for 260mm railways is 2500mm, makes approx 150mm in 1/16 scale - would be even tight enough for a 1/16 scale pizza
- common motor units/bogies and wagons could be used for basis
- the lack of figures is not so bad as it seems at first sight, as for a 1/16 scale micro layout you only need a couple of figures, which i. e. could be recruited from military modelling -> adopt, adapt and improve (motto of the round table)
- there are a few older cars available in 1/16, i. e. a Volkswagen Beetle, which could be placed kinda abandoned and rusty on the layout or in a barn

I already started with my "finger exercises" *klick*, to get a feeling for size, proportions and looks for this bigger andfar more voluminous scale.

mad gerald

... to make it more comfortable (regarding working links: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1958.0 ...  ;)

BTW: Looking for a real tiny loco as a prototype? http://www.emser-bergbaumuseum.de/assets/images/Akku-Lok25proz.jpg ... and again (on the left) http://www.rail.lu/im/x/3Loks2.jpg ... or what about his one http://hofherrm.de/feldbahn/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/neuAkkulok.jpg

Cheers

1-32

hi all it has been a very busy year and all i have managed to do i tinker and make lots of paper shapes around the idear of a flat pack model at last i am getting some where.
the first photoes are of the general arragement around the track plan that i posted before, the last is the model in travel mode.
when set up the size is 480 mm long,280mm wide and 230 mm heigh[19 inches,11 inches ,9 inches] in travel mode it is 120mm heigh[5 inches].at the moment there are 2 pieces most likely this will increase.
the general idear is that the scene is based around a water feature that ends in a dark tunnel under a group of buildings on the top level.there is a flight of stairs connecting the 2 levels.around the water feature on the bottom level there is whalf and a small roofed service area.the track runs off scene through a cutting and terminates under the buildings.the big arch is the entrance to the tunnel of love-dark water.
on the top level there are 2 alley ways 1 going straight ahead the other turns right and leads to a back gate this one has a hand rail that is parrel to the tunnel entrance.2 buildings explain the alley way system.the one on the left will be of industral use the one on the right will be a small shop,with a walled garden.a gate provides acess from the back alley.with this small walled garden maybe a few fruit trees lets see.
great lets get started i also have the mock up of the 9 mm gauge engine more later.
kind regards kim

finescalerr

Ah, you have started work. Good. Let's see how it develops. -- Russ

Design-HSB

Hi Kim, very interesting small layout.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Marcel Ackle

Kim, I'm very curious to see how the project developed  :)

Marcel
My BLOG

1-32

hi helmut-marcel.
how are you both good to catch up.
i am also very interested to see how this little model turns out.over the last weekend i have built the base section even though small it has to be solid.i most likely will travel in the hold in my checked in luggage,there is no way that this piece will be able to travel in the cabin with me.it is better not to look at what the baggage handlers do to your luggage.making it solid should not pose much of a problem.base section 12mm exterior grade ply wood[1/2 inch.most of the fragile pieces will be detaciable  and will travel with me, no wires.
kind regards kim

1-32

hi all
my flatpack is now into the base framing stage.all the main structure is 3 mm ply.i love ply wood for all sorts of things.to do it propertly you need a small bench saw i usually use a hobby knife and a wood plane.i feel that it is getting too heavy i might loose some weight at this stage.i have made space for a minitrain controller at the back.these little units are very light ,compact and simple[plug in transformer 12v]the loco plus the transformer produces scale slow motion perfect.
cheers for now kim

1-32

hi all i can see that we all have been busy just like little people getting ready for christmas cheers.
soon the flat pack will progress to having a name but before then progress has been made.

this is the top section that will have a flight  of stairs connecting the 2 levels.i want a feel of back alleys in this section that will contrast the bottom level.i hate brick laying but love the effect of being hand made against the feeling that a machine has made it.a bit rough and ready just like me.the little court yard acessed from the little gate will have either a fruit tree or  a large tree flowing over the wall.
kind regards kim