• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My 2015 Nevada/Mojave trip!

Started by Ray Dunakin, August 20, 2015, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I finally finished organizing the photos from my trip and getting everything posted to my website! The report on my trip begins here:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Nevada_Trip_2015_Part_One.html

I had some car trouble again this year, and definitely need to find another SUV before my next trip. Also had a very scary near-wreck. But mostly I had a really great time and saw a lot of amazing stuff, including mines, mills, mining camps, pioneer ranch buildings, and a huge steam tractor. Here's a list of some of the places I visited this year:

Mazourka Canyon, CA
Black Eagle and Alhambra Mines, CA
Kearsarge, CA
Sylvania, NV
Sylvania Mine, NV
Four Aces Canyon mines, NV
Four Aces Mill, NV
White Wolf Mine, NV
Grantsville, NV
Nevada Cinnabar Mine, NV
Ione, NV
"White Ranch", O'Toole Ranch, "Adobe Ranch", Hess Ranch and others in the Reese River Valley, NV
Diamond Tunnel and Diamond Camp, NV
Eureka, NV
Willow Creek, NV
Keystone Canyon, NV
"Ground Zero" at the Project Faultless nuclear test site
Two mills in Eden Creek Canyon, NV
Clifford, NV
Tonopah, NV
South Klondike Hills, NV
Brannigan Mine, CA
Paymaster Mine, CA

I also added a lot of new reference photos to my Modeler's Resource pages:

http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/Modelers_Resource.html

Enjoy!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Great stuff, Ray.

Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

finescalerr

Yes, Ray, thanks for the links and for providing a lot of excellent reference material. -- Russ

lab-dad

Thanks Ray!
I spent this morning enjoying my coffee and traveling along with you.
I very much enjoyed the trip.
Wish I could go!

We need to talk about pre-trip vehicle inspections though.........

-Marty

Allan G

Thanx for posting!!! Great, great pix. I thought the out house was special. Thanx again...Allan

mabloodhound

Excellent Ray, as usual.  I just spent the morning reading all six pages of your trip log.
I'll never get to visit those places so it is nice to be able to see and read about them through your writings.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the great trip blog Ray. I'm glad your accident wasn't too serious. I had a similar experience on the road to Phoenix some years ago.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Barney

Nice photos Ray loads of inspiration
Barney

Hydrostat

Ray,

thank you very much! It's very intersting to see those abandonend mines and buildings, which look exotic to an european eye. Some of those mines look rather 'modern' considering our favourite modeling topics and eras. It's astounding how improvised some of the equipment looks like. Unfortunately a lot of those abandoned sites have gone in Europe (at least in Germany, where everything needs to be 'relandscaped' after closure. I'm still waiting for the river Rhine castles to disappear  :D).

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"