• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

2 cylinder engine for a model boat

Started by michael mott, October 09, 2015, 01:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Michael, first thank you for posting your new photos properly (on the street trackage thread).

Everyone: I don't want to mess up this thread with any more posts about photos so I'll leave it at this: For now we are stuck with the current software. It has limitations and it's crude. I've known it since about 1998 and tried to get my web guy to change things. He says any change would cost more than it's worth. Volker will ask the owner of another site about different software. If it makes sense, I'll change things. Don't count on it, though.

Bottom line: As the gentlemen I know all of you to be, please have the courtesy to post properly from now on -- no links. Don't do it for me (although it would be common courtesy) but for yourselves and your fellow modelers. It is almost a crime when, after a few months, your magnificent work disappears and the valuable lessons you have taught us simply disappear. Leave a legacy!

Russ

marc_reusser

Simply WOW!...and floored!. Beautiful.

I agree the lack of in-line posting is a big PiTA....the only way around it is to post each pic and its description in a separate post.
If necessary, the file size allowed (currently it is set at 230kb) for a single, or combined 4 max attachments, per post, could be increased; if that helps in the meantime.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Bill Gill

This isn't a model, it's miniature reality!

JohnTolcher

Amazing work Michael!

(I pretty much always post one image per post, so I may end up with 6 or more consecutive posts. It doesn't seem to be a problem, down sizing images to 230 kb takes longer.)
Cheers
John in Australia

nk

This is mind-boggling wonderful Michael. This is the kind of stuff I used to see in the science museum as a kid and wonder how it could have been made...now I know!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

michael mott

I am going to redo the pictures that are all linked to P Bucket in the posts that they are in. Because they were inline I need to split up the posts that have more than 4 pictures. I have already replaced the pictures in the first post, the next one will obviously be at the end of this thread Onece I have added all the information I will delete the posts with the linked images.

this shows the three water jackets that were made the first two rejected for machine errors

next is a special cutter I made for making the recess in the base flange.

The base pan was fabricated from bar and sheet.

the bearings wer reamed after the rough blocks were bolted with 0x80 studs and nuts fabricated from hex and steel wire.

Michael

michael mott

the crankshaft was fabricated from tool steel bar and rod ansd silver soldered together

the gearbox and reverser were the trickiest part

the next pic shows the fabrication of the band clamp this was made from a solid ring milled and filed to final shape.

A hex broach was made to build the plates of the clutch.

the forward and revers lever was cut and filed out of some bar stock

Michael

michael mott

The pistons were made from aluminum and are 5/16 inch in diameter

the slit big end bearinds were turne up in brass.

the timing gears wer milled from brass rod after making the gear cutter from drill rod

Michael

michael mott

next the various bits of piping for the engine had to be fabricated out of tube to allow the water and fuels to flow. I did a lot of test to come up with a way to make tight bends in copper and brass tube without collapsing the tubes this was finally accomplished by annealing the tube then inserting some styrene rod, bending then burning out the styrene.

a special tap for making the unions this is 80 threads per inch and 1/8th in diameter

Michael

michael mott

a special tap for making the unions this is 80 threads per inch and 1/8th in diameter

The working spark plugs are made from Corian .020 music wire and 1/8th hex stock.

The valves are turned from some 1/8th drill rod.

Tapping the holes for the inlet manifold in the block

Michael

michael mott

the final pic showing the pipe bending for the manifold

This thread should be safe now, trying to do this stuff while falling asleep is not recommended.

Michael

Bill Gill

Geez, Mike, the only thing you haven't done for this engine is mine and refine the copper. It's looking terrific and I still hope you can make a video when you run it.

finescalerr

Yesterday, when I had a few minutes, I milled, drilled, cut, and assembled three or four motors identical to Michael's from nickel silver. While Bill pointed out a shortcoming of Michael's work, I actually did extract and refine my own raw materials and, since I was bored, also happened to develop a superior new alloy. Michael's modeling is okay, of course, but I'm sure everyone would agree my work is so much better and more detailed, quite aside from its being a fully functioning diesel in 1:64 scale. I'd post electron microscope images but I'm far too modest. Still, nice work, Michael .... -- ssuR

Greg Hile

Well, that's my problem. After extracting, refining, and developing new alloys, I got hungry and by the time I was finished slaughtering the pig, curing the ham and baking the sandwich bread, I only had time to mill and drill, so I said, eh, maybe tomorrow ...