• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Best steam traction engine - Photo

Started by Ray Dunakin, October 31, 2015, 11:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I just came across a great photo online, of a Best steam traction engine pulling several wagons full of construction materials. It was taken in 1908, in Twin Falls, ID:

https://ejournals.unm.edu/index.php/historicalgeography/article/viewFile/3044/html_11/5580

This looks very similar to the Best engine I saw displayed in Goldfield, NV.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Allan G

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

michael mott

There is something to be said for the quality of some of the old Black and white photographs, what a wealth of details all in focus.

Mike

LesTindall

finescalerr

It sort of reminds me of the 20 mule team borax wagons from Death Valley except, of course, the steam engine replaces the mules.

Yesterday on the freeway I saw a beautifully restored steam tractor, in red, black, and green livery, on a flatbed trailer headed north toward Santa Barbara. It appeared to be of pretty typical design but was not a Tozer such as Gordon Birrell built (2013 Modelers' Annual). Somebody here probably knows all about those things and might suggest a possible manufacturer.

Russ

Stoker

Neato.  I am curious about the windsock looking item hanging from the smokestack. It looks like it could fit on the top of the smokestack as a spark arrestor, or maybe a boiler water filter perhaps?
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on November 03, 2015, 11:34:53 AM
It sort of reminds me of the 20 mule team borax wagons from Death Valley except, of course, the steam engine replaces the mules.

They actually tried using a Best engine in place of mules for the borax wagons, but it didn't work out due to the bad water available, and the extremely rough, rocky roads. The engine, named Old Dinah, is on display at Furnace Creek in Death Valley.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World