• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson N , 1/35 scale

Started by Gordon Ferguson, November 18, 2015, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Well as I actually finished something thought I would post it.
Sorry almost out of the box resin kit from PlusModels, although it has has some modification and refinements added to it

Gordon

Bill Gill

Nice looking. Good finish! Your modifications & refinements add a lot.
The only thing that looks a little off is the bottoms of the tires. They are flatten where they contact the ground, but the sidewalls don't have the corresponding slight bulges there. That's very picky, adding details is one thing, but modifying the tires that much goes beyond "almost out of the box".

Allan G

Chuck Doan

I think it's quite luverly, and I especially like the canvas on the radiator.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

I really can't imagine how anyone could have made that model look better. Different, perhaps, but not better. Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Andi Little

Looks great Gordon, a testament to your diligence, application and sometimes just sheer bloody mindedness!! (;))

The photo' with the giant hand soberly brings just how good this is into sharp focus .......... well done bloke.
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Thank you all for the positive comments , great to start my 1001th post with a "most satisfactory"  :)

Bill, you comment re tyres is correct

It's something I am normally pretty anal about but in this case a combination of deciding that finishing something was the priority and that my research indicated these tractor tyres did not seem to show much sidewall deflection....... I presume because tractor tyre sidewalls are pretty stiff to cope with the low tyre pressures that are common on tractors.

Example of tyres

And what I mean by being anal about these issues, development of tyres for an abandoned truck ranging from origonal, slightly soft , soft and flat

Gordon

Bill Gill

Gordon, I stand corrected, the prototype photo shows you are right, and as others have said, the model is wonderful and it is done. :)

Scratchman

Gordon Ferguson

Bill, please "do not stand corrected" .... apologises if my comments came across that way .

Out of interest and thro' the wonders of the internet I looked up correct tyre pressures a Fordson N , the general view seems to be around 15 psi so tyre walls must be stiff as if you ran at that pressure on your car the sidewalls would certainly bulge.  ;D

Thanks Gordon
Gordon

LesTindall

I love that dent in the fuel tank. re the tyres - info please on making them look deflated. I've tried the usual technique of softening them in the oven and using a soldering iron with no success (other than a plastic mess). I presume with resin its almost impossible. Thiose pics of the deflated ones are intriguing.
Les

Gordon Ferguson

Les,

That's my personal holy grail, the search for the perfect way to make a flat tyre !

I am away from tonight for 10 days but on my return will take a few SBS pictures of my current approach to this thorny problem
Gordon

NORCALLOGGER

Gordon,
Your spot on about tractor tires, especially the drivers. 
And, don't forget about water filled, so the side walls are
very stiff.

Never try to add air to a water filled tire when the valve stem
is not in the topmost position.  Don't ask how I know that.
Rick

shropshire lad

Quote from: NORCALLOGGER on November 20, 2015, 05:13:52 PM
Gordon,
Your spot on about tractor tires, especially the drivers. 
And, don't forget about water filled, so the side walls are
very stiff.

Never try to add air to a water filled tire when the valve stem
is not in the topmost position.  Don't ask how I know that.
Rick

Sorry , but I have to ... How do you know that ?

Mr Potato Head

I don't know what the big problem is  ???
They're only flat on the bottom ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho