• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

V.A Young foundry

Started by Ray Dunakin, November 20, 2015, 07:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

This link was posted on another forum and I thought some here might enjoy it too. It's a series of photos of a vintage foundry & machine shop:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33523379@N03/sets/72157648586082640

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Much cleaner then the East Broad Top's shops.

Allan G

Thanx for posting Ray. Absolutely wonderful photos. A wealth of material......Allan

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Stoker

Glad this place was preserved. Fascinating stuff to behold, thanks for sharing. For anyone on the left coast of the USA that wants to see something real similar to this, check out the Coos Bay Ironworks if you are ever in that area. It is like stepping through a time portal into the late 1800's.  Real similar to this shop, and they are actually still producing Steam Donkey parts there! Click here to visit their site.

Edit to add: I absolutely love this product description for the Coos Bay Ironworks King Donkey:
Quote" Simple construction makes field repair easy
and modifications possible.  If you have a set of big wrenches, a BF Hammer and can swear like a real logger, then you too can make nearly any repair in the
field.  Throw in a set of torches and you have a modification-ready operation to address almost any scenario."
;D

Wow! It looks like the W.A Young Foundry and the Coos Bay Ironworks have nearly the same model Whitcomb planer!

A public image from Vintage Machinery.org

Not sure about posting the flicker images without permission, so click here to view the planer at the W.A Young Foundry.

And click here to see a real 1890's vintage photo of the one at Coos Bay Ironworks.

Quite a coincidence both of these historic shops having a really obscure machine like that Whitcomb Planer. I can get lost looking at old machinery like this for hours on end.

Update: The planer at the W.A Young Foundry is actually one of Whitcomb's competitors, Woodward & Powell.  Click here to see the image. So, not the same manufacturer, but very similar machines. Still quite a coincidence that these two historic and still functional line driven machine shops on opposite sides of the country have one of these. Pretty sure planers fell into disfavor not long into the 1900's as milling machines came into prominence to perform surface planing.

Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis