• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Byers Steam Loco

Started by LesTindall, February 05, 2016, 12:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesTindall

Now I've finished the Alco in 16mm scale I was looking for a new project and came across this. The John F. Byers Machine Co of Ravenna, Ohio only built around 5 locos between 1896 and 1906.  This is their "T" boilered vertical cyluinder geared engine available in 3ft gauge and standrad gauge (where the wheels were simply set outside the frames!).  Looks a classic to build so have made a start - the more you look into it the wiereer it becomes! The supports for the vertical cylinders were a "pig2 to make - ended up laminating thick styrene then cutting it out with a fretsaw and finalling sanding to the right profile. I'll post some progress pics soon.
Les

darrylhuffman

Wow.  You have to see it to believe it.

Looks like a Tom Yorke special.

Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

NORCALLOGGER

Now that is one of a kind, I love it!
What do you suppose the buckets on the roof are for, coal?
Looking forward to your progress build picts and info.
Rick

finescalerr

By all means post photos as you build it! -- Russ

LesTindall

The "buckets" on the roof are actually the tops of what look like grain silos in the distance. It must have been a horror to ride, there is no suspension, a very short wheelbase and the brake wheel connects to the rear drive not the wheels! The are some drawings on a web site showing all the gearing otherwise I would just not be able to get my head around it.
Les

lab-dad

Love it!
I may have to put one on my to do list 
Marty

LesTindall

I've made a start in 16mm scale.  Styrene plus wood for the unusual (as with everything on this engine) front end and "buffers". As you can see the support column for the cylinders were a bit tricky.  The wheels have just been temporarily placed in order to get the base plate for the gears in the corect position.
Les

LesTindall

I'll try the model pic again, for some reason iot did not show.
Les

NORCALLOGGER

Quote from: LesTindall on February 06, 2016, 12:28:58 AM
The "buckets" on the roof are actually the tops of what look like grain silos in the distance. It must have been a horror to ride, there is no suspension, a very short wheelbase and the brake wheel connects to the rear drive not the wheels! The are some drawings on a web site showing all the gearing otherwise I would just not be able to get my head around it.
Les

Yes, I see that now, duhhhh. 
So is it coal fired?  Looks like a ore car directly behind it,
doesn't look like much room on board the loco for fuel storage.

LesTindall

Not sure but assume it's coal fired, as you say not much room on the footplate. The photo of the engine is at the Milwaukee Cement Co.
Les

Hydrostat

Come on, guys. Those 'buckets' are some grain silos in the picture's background. So for sure the loco is grain fired.
Great start, Les! And a very interesting prototype. In animal kingdom this would pass as toad. Good at least the driver seems to be proud of it :D.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

LesTindall

It's probably a mobile popcorn maker while the tanks contain Shlitz beer (remember that make?)
Les

finescalerr

I also remember Blatz, Black Label, Pabst, and several other beers. Too bad you can't drink them as you build the model. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

A very unique and interesting project!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

What a strange and interesting little loco! Very cool project!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World