• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: Bill Gill on November 13, 2018, 12:40:30 PM
Hauk, Finding the details of that round window is a terrific bit of tenacity and luck. I love it when some detail I have almost given up looking for unexpectedly shows up.
Now when you build that window you'll KNOW it is correct, and that feels good.

Its a nice little detail. Especially since I am thinking that the completed scene will have a slightly cathedral-like mood. That window would not look out of place in a church!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Everything is looking good! Nice find on the window; I usually discover info like that after I have built it.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Barney

Very Nice stuff this excellent detail - York Model Making at   www.yorkmodelmaking.co.uk    do a nice range of ornate church windows of various styles and sizes - nice quality to
Barney

Lawton Maner

Or, Chuck, someone who has been hording the one piece of information you need waits until you publish the article and then uses it to prove that your carefully researched work has come to the wrong conclusion.

Seattle Dave

Back at the start of this "round window" discussion, the interior photo shows what appears to be some kind of motor up on a shelf on the right side.  It looks as though it powers a lathe down on the floor via flat belt, but what caught my eye was the fact that there are no jackshafts in the building and the lathe appears to be the only one powered in this manner.  It also interests me that whatever kind of motor this is appears to have a flywheel.  I'm guessing the motor is electric, but why the flywheel?

Dave VanderWal

5thwheel

Quote from: Seattle Dave on November 18, 2018, 10:25:30 AM
Back at the start of this "round window" discussion, the interior photo shows what appears to be some kind of motor up on a shelf on the right side.  It looks as though it powers a lathe down on the floor via flat belt, but what caught my eye was the fact that there are no jackshafts in the building and the lathe appears to be the only one powered in this manner.  It also interests me that whatever kind of motor this is appears to have a flywheel.  I'm guessing the motor is electric, but why the flywheel?

I don't believe that is a flywheel.  It looks like a large diameter pulley.  There I see a second belt coming down but smaller.  It looks like the shaft from the mottor extends down a couple more windows. I see what looks like a belt down there.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on October 24, 2018, 10:21:18 AM
Hauk,

Forex (German brand) is a millable pvc based material which comes in different thicknesses. If sprayed with a plastic primer it can be colored with usual wall paint for example. I tend to rather dab paint to the surface to avoid brush traces. I think at your scale there'll be enough texture from the rough wall paint pigments and the unevenness of the dabbed on color.

Cheers,
Volker

Volker, do you have a source for Forex?
I am having trouble finding a webshop that does not charge an arm and a leg to send some sheets to Norway.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Bill Gill

"Its a nice little detail. Especially since I am thinking that the completed scene will have a slightly cathedral-like mood. That window would not look out of place in a church!" Hauk
Over here you never know what architectural styles will get mashed together. Here's a recently renovated restaurant I stumbled on here in a small old city in coastal New England :)

Hydrostat

Quote from: Hauk on November 30, 2018, 01:29:02 PM
Quote from: Hydrostat on October 24, 2018, 10:21:18 AM
Hauk,

Forex (German brand) is a millable pvc based material which comes in different thicknesses. If sprayed with a plastic primer it can be colored with usual wall paint for example. I tend to rather dab paint to the surface to avoid brush traces. I think at your scale there'll be enough texture from the rough wall paint pigments and the unevenness of the dabbed on color.

Cheers,
Volker

Volker, do you have a source for Forex?
I am having trouble finding a webshop that does not charge an arm and a leg to send some sheets to Norway.

Hauk,

I usually buy it at a local craft store. It's the same material sign makers tend to use for building site advertisements and so on. Sometimes they sell their residues for little money or even give it away instead of binning it.
Howsoever here's an online-shop with some variety https://www.architekturbedarf.de/plastics/forex/1 which ships for € 19,95 to Norway: https://www.architekturbedarf.de/versand. I'd love to buy it and then send it to you, but shipment to Norway would be more expensive than the shop's shipment costs!

I wasn't able to locate a vendor in Norway, but you may ask here https://www.thyssenkrupp-plastics.de/unternehmen/locations-in-europe/

Cheers
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Quote from: Hydrostat on December 01, 2018, 05:59:41 AM
I usually buy it at a local craft store. It's the same material sign makers tend to use for building site advertisements and so on. Sometimes they sell their residues for little money or even give it away instead of binning it.
Howsoever here's an online-shop with some variety https://www.architekturbedarf.de/plastics/forex/1 which ships for € 19,95 to Norway: https://www.architekturbedarf.de/versand. I'd love to buy it and then send it to you, but shipment to Norway would be more expensive than the shop's shipment costs!

Thanks a lot for the tip, Volker!
The postage is reasonable, and the price for the material itself is very good.

Even if I googled extensively, I did not find that particular webshop.
Regards, Hauk
--

Hydrostat

For glueing: I use UHU Plast Special https://www.architekturbedarf.de/plastics/uhu-plast-special-30g-with-dosing-head, sometimes thinned with dichloromethane (available at drugstores, but be careful, it's biohazard and carcinogenic). It's very thin and glues PVC to most other plastics like styrene, PA and so on.
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

You  know you have been lazy when this pop up in your most active building thread:

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

But finally an image of some real modelling progress:

This is a girder for the gantry crane. The connector plates are custom etched by PPD ltd in Scotland. I can not praise their etching service highly enough.
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

5thwheel

Will you be soldering those plates w/ rivets in place? Will you be turning the heads with burr or will you have already made rivets? Looks like a lot of work ahead to assemble this.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Hauk

Oh, yes there will be rivets!
I use turned brass rivets from several different sources (including Scale Hardware, me thinks). And it is really not that much work.

Four evenings of work got me this far:

Regards, Hauk
--