• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Chuck Doan on April 23, 2018, 09:04:57 PM
Thanks Very much! The Glacier Express continues.  

Not quite Jerry, here is my remaining list:

Gypsy drum

Brake pad
Brake band
Brake lower attachment
Brake spring/hanger

Friction/grease cup

Brake foot pedal
Friction levers (white glue in)
Friction lever stops

Chain guard/brackets (both sides)
Clamp caps

Gear guard

Then, maybe the Tractor!

You need about six months of rain to keep you inside at the bench.

In my case we need six months of warm beach weather!!  :)

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Shortening the list. Test fitting the gypsy drum.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Satisfactory fit and finish. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Just seems everything you add makes it more unbelievable that its a model.

Jerry
George Carlin

Dave Fischer

Chuck-- This is coming together beautifully... you are outdoing even yourself! I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but the concentric rust patterns inside the cable drums HAS to be impossible, but there it IS! Deeply impressed as always...    DF

Ray Dunakin

The level of realism here is just staggering!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Franck Tavernier

Hi Chuck, nice job as always!

The realism is awesome...This scale is definitively stunning...

Franck

finescalerr

You guys, in all your enthusiasm for Chuck's modeling, have overlooked one critical flaw: The sunlight is out of scale. -- ssuR

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: finescalerr on April 29, 2018, 12:21:05 PM
You guys, in all your enthusiasm for Chuck's modeling, have overlooked one critical flaw: The sunlight is out of scale. -- ssuR

Yeah, those 1:1 photons really throw the whole thing off.    ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! Yes, that sun is both 16 times brighter, and hotter! Or at least it felt that way today.

Thanks Dave, nice to hear from you again; hope you're latest project is going well. The drums were made in 3 pieces; the core and the two ends. Each item was pre-painted and weathered. After primering, the ends were put in my drill press "lathe" and I used dampened Prismacolor Premier pencils to apply the rust rings. This was followed by a damp toothpicking in an annular fashion to blend them. Then Dullcote followed by a soda blasting to dull the traditional not-so-Dull Cote. The gypsy drum was finished in a similar way, but I used a regular lead pencil to get the steel look started, and then some Prisamcolor pencils applied in an annular way to simulate cable winding marks. No Dullcote for this.

Today, I got the main brake strap applied, along with it's linkage to the brake pedal shaft. All of these parts are made from styrene, brass wire and brass nuts from Walthers. The nuts  tension the brake strap over the drum. The spring was wound from brass wire.  

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bill Gill

As you say, it's all in the details. looks good. Hope you got all the 'grease' off your hands when you finished working on it for the day :)

Gordon Ferguson

Gordon

finescalerr

I think you placed one scratch at the wrong angle by about 4%. Hardly anyone would notice. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Details, details, details!!

All awesome!!

Jerry
George Carlin

Hydrostat

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"