• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I keep telling myself it's a model, but my eyes keep insisting it's the "real thing".

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Chuck, amazing skill: you managed to put the brakes on and simultaneously race along over the weekend! And the results speak for themselves!

TRAINS1941

Ray this is a model right!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Thanks guys!

Started on the chain guard. Made from .010 sheet styrene with brass strip bent up for the support brackets. Using 1mm and 00-90 nuts and screws to fasten.

Primed with Mr. Surfacer Mahogany spray, then hairspray airbrushed on, then Tamiya XF flat yellow with a few drops of flat red. Chipped with a toothpick and a soft nylon brush.

I found a crudely painted number in a picture I had, and reduced it and printed it on paper. Then taped it over some Tamiya masking tape that was stuck to a piece of glass. Cut out the number with an X-acto knife and then pulled up and re-applied the tape "mask" to the guard and airbrushed it black. Chased it with some handbrushed paint for a painted-on look. (Ray Dunakin is a lot better at this than I am.)

The inside wasn't painted yellow, and I sponged on some Prismacolor pencil "paint", then speckled it with thinned oil paint (flick a light brushfull over a toothpick). Followed up with oil paint mixed with dirt, and pigments.

The guard is about as fragile as a potato chip, hoping I get it done and installed safely.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Looks amazing! I love the grime and grease-spatter on the inside.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

shropshire lad

As usual Words are meaningless . So I won't use any .

However, you went to a lot of effort to put a crude looking number 2 onto it . I would have thought it would have been quicker to paint your own 2 onto it and missed out all the rigmarole . Hell, I reckon even I could have done that !

finescalerr

You cheated, Nick: You used words. -- ssuR

Bill Gill

Chuck, I like the "2", like the yellow and the rust, but really like the subtle ding on the top of the chain guard about halfway between the sprockets.

TRAINS1941

I'm thinking of what to say!!

Jerry
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! Nick, I couldn't freehand letter if I had to. But next time I'll know who to ask!

I managed to get the chain guard mounted today. Apparently the bottom half was removed for maintenance and has never been seen again. About all that's left to do are the operator levers.  :)

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

That's so real looking its scary!!

Jerry
George Carlin

finescalerr

Yeah, it looks about right. -- Russ

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky