• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Lacking access to a tractor or blueprints, I am going with Pretty Damn Close (PDC). I am using the Danbury parts for the basic sizes, as well as pictures of individual parts from auction sites and restoration forums for the finer details.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

I think your off to a pretty dam good start.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

To keep my hand in real modeling, I made a quick 5 lb. grease can from a Grandt Line O scale part. Wrapped it with a Microscale gas station decal and grunged it up with oil paints. There could be 6 months worth of clutter alone on this.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Ray Dunakin

Great prototype for reference, but where's the model?     ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

Chuck,
What, no greasy hand prints on the grease can!? (It looks good!)

TRAINS1941

Another tidbit to keep us happy!!

Jerry
George Carlin

Design-HSB

Chuck I always thrilled again.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

I received the first printed parts. They are made from the same material as FUD/FXD. Everything seems to fit well. I also had a stand printed by a friend using a filament printer.

Hauk

A 3D printed workstand is truly a sign of a dedicated modeller!
What kind of printer was used for the actual model parts, by the way?

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

That was going to be my first question. The second is how did you break down the printed parts. I see as many as nine on the cast metal depending on whether the radiator frame is a single piece or consists of two sides.

My third question is what you think about the 3-D parts from your new supplier. I see some "grain" you may have to fuss with to remove, especially around the Fordson lettering.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Looks like a great start Chuck.

I thought the parts were from the same place you always get them Shapeways??

Jerry
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

I am still shopping around for printer services. 3D Hubs is an interesting place. These parts are combatable to Shapeways; some grain, but nothing too bad. I can't remember what the printer name is. Printed on wax rather than supports. I want to try other printers, but it is an expensive thing to just try.

Good eye Russ, yes 9 parts. The radiator is just like the prototype, 4 parts. I figured they would be easier to sand (and paint) as separate parts, and now I can install my new core from the top instead of the back as I had to do on the Danbury one. I made tabs and it all fit together perfectly. I am currently soaking them in Bestine solvent which dissolves all the wax, inside and out.

finescalerr

Shapeways and other commercial printers are fine for most stuff. When the quality must be as good as possible, we may have to look for a small "mom and pop" outfit. Geoff Ringlé, who used to post here, uses a jeweler on the east coast. Volker uses a guy in Germany. In both cases the results are clearly superior. The key is that those shops spend much more time on the print itself and have an intimate knowledge of resins and their printer's strengths. Chuck, if you want a referral, send me an e-mail. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Quick spritz of primer on the fuel tank. No sanding yet. Lettering came out pretty nice.

TRAINS1941

I'll say the printing came out pretty nice!!

Jerry
George Carlin