• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

If it took two tries to satisfy you, most of us would need 200. Glad you found time to work on it. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Nice work Chuck.  I'm glad you put the name of the spark plug on so we all know what kind they were...  ;)

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Peter_T1958

Hi Chuck

As soon as I notice that you have posted an update here, there is drooling from my mouth and I can't wait to read about your modelling techniques.
Unfortunately due to the language barrier it takes a while until I'll really understand every step - sometimes I can't handle it.
What I can't make out: Is the spark plug wiring is one single device (also the eylets!) made of solder wire? And if so, how did you archieve such a clear dividing line between the textured part and the smoth one?

Impressed again!
Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bill Gill

Chuck, you turned lead into cloth;even better than into gold here. Those sparkplug wires look just like ones I've seen on a very old truck.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much! Peter, yes I make the wire from one piece. I just stop the file texturing at a certain point, and then I modify the remaining smooth part for the eyelet. It can take several tries to get a nice set of four, but I have a really long spool of solder.

I am finally making some progress on the manifold, almost exactly one year since I modeled it up in 3D cad for printing. After sanding the print lines, I textured the exhaust portion with a sharp dental pick, and then added separate nuts and bolts. Everything was primed with Mr. Surfacer Mahogany, and then painted with Prismacolor "paint". The final coloring was done with Bragdon pigments.  The exhaust pipe is 1/8" brass tubing that I bent and then I thinned the open end. Primed with Krylon metal primer and then the Mr. Surfacer and pigments. A final application of spots was done with a sharp, wet tipped Prismacolor pencil. There was a lot of back and forth applications, nothing was a linear step x step. Next up is to finish the throttle and other control rods that connect to the carburetor.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Just amazing!!

Nothing else to say...

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Peter_T1958

I can literally smell the oil and grease! Wonderful!!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Bill Gill

Good stuff, Chuck, I backed away from the monitor to avoid getting grease and oil on my sleeves.

Bernhard

Incredible, not indistinguishable from the prototype.

Terry Harper

That has to be THE best work I have seen on an engine.

The exhaust pipe is perfect, everything is perfect.

Brilliant!

Dave Fischer

You know, young man, with some hard work and dedication you could get pretty good at this.   DF   

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Franck Tavernier

I love your work, Chuck!

This approach you have to detail, is always impressive, difficult to guess that it's a scale model!

Franck