• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

Stunning, absolutely stunning, a "jewel". I could look at it for hours and still find more and more incredible detail.  I think back to Chuck's early days and thought then how amazing and detailed, also the days of Greenberg and Nash with their beautiful dioramas - but now it gets even better   I've probably said it before but will say it again, thanks goodness for the forum.  I've got a lot of catching up to do to get anywhere near this quality but it always provides inspiration.
Les   

Bernhard

This is really model making at its very best! The dirt encrusted oil and grease marks are absolutely realistic.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Masterful work, especially the weathering effects. The coloration and texture of the wheels (and everything else) is spot on. I could put these photos alongside pics of many old machines I've seen and it would be nigh impossible to tell which is real and which is the model.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

You have said it one Les + this Forum beats them all - if you want quality and not quantity This is the place
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

You might (or might not) be surprised to learn that most guys who want to join the forum change their mind when I ask for a couple of photos of their work and tell them we often offer constructive criticism. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Thanks very much for the nice words! It has been a lot of fun, with many do-overs but none that drained my interest. Helmut, it least it has been well oiled and greased!

I certainly agree with the thoughts on this forum. It's been true for a long time.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Design-HSB

Quote from: finescalerr on August 03, 2020, 02:48:35 PM
You might (or might not) be surprised to learn that most guys who want to join the forum change their mind when I ask for a couple of photos of their work and tell them we often offer constructive criticism. -- Russ
This is true many just want to be admired and suggestions for improvement are seen as nasty criticism. I have already learned a lot here and have been able to improve. But it is also true what Russ has written the realization we have just been able to read in the BBF.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

I'm starting to make some progress on the first the sled runner.  Started with a basswood square and am slowly carving out a log with a flattened top to mount the machinery. The knots are sanded from basswood sticks and tapped into holes. Then I Dremel the surface with a burr to make then seem raised. Damage added with a knife and a coarse wire wheel. I'm cleaning the fuzz with high pressure baking soda blasting using my Badger mini-sandblaster. The big holes are for the truss rod nuts and washers. About 1 and 3/16" square and 18" long. Still a long ways to go.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Great texture! Looks good already!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Yes, it does look terrific. And thanks for the short "how-to" info. -- Russ

Hauk

Never has a piece of driftwood received so much praise!
(sorry, I am just seriously jealous ;D)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Barney

Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Bill Gill

Chuck, "Knotty but Nice" :) Even without coloring it's convincing.

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on September 02, 2020, 02:18:07 PM
Chuck, "Knotty but Nice" :) Even without coloring it's convincing.

I'm completely with Bill. Those protruding knots are phantatstic.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Design-HSB

For me, it's the first time I've seen someone recreated the branches, just exemplary.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal