• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

the rusty old over the hill costal trader in 1/35 scale

Started by 1-32, September 23, 2017, 09:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

ok, I have a bit of an update on the zodiac.the length of the model is fine but it is the width and in particular, the diameter of the rubber floaties are the problem-sorry but all my measures are in mm.inside width has to be 3 mm more and the diameter of the floaties also 3 mm more.I am using my plastic offsider the blue man who has kindly agreed to model in 1-35 scale.i have included a really good reference for a zodiac-like runabout.also in this series I have also included 2 loco type vehicles that can be used for minimum gage which is in my case 1/35 n 9.
cheers, Kim.

1-32

hi all.
well, it has been a funny process from my first drawing of the coastal trader to today's post.
At the moment I have shelved the rusty old boat, i have built this before and have done 3 versions of industrial based water industries before.so.
this is a mock-up of a microdisplay in 1/35 scale.same size as Dapto that is it fits into a carry on suitcase, two levels the top level comes off and fits into the bottom level.the black line at the back is the track -crazy track.overall it is a built-up area around an open swamp.a bit different for me and I like it.
cheers.

Ray Dunakin

Nice mockup. I like it -- lots of interesting angles and junctions.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

finescalerr

I really like how you arranged those structures. It should be quite an eye catching diorama. -- Russ

1-32

hi and good morning, thank you all for the interest.yes generally I like the composition and it works in a small space, I have to confess to being influenced by Asian urban planning.i have a few ideas about what is in there, a small railway but the green spaces are standing out for me.there of course is the local downtown swamp and to counter that on the terrace on the right is a formal roof type garden you can see the doors leading out to it.stripe awnings, gutters, signs and a mixture of wood, concrete, metal and bricks.yes a small square with a few crazy shops.with crazy track it is hard to get wagons to stay within the radius, so the purpose of the signal loco is to get some fuel and supplies from under one of the roofs at the back.
talk soon Kim

Barney

1-32

hi, Barney how are you doing, at some stage I will add a new heading as soon as ii think of one.
I have been working on a full-size cardboard mock-up and I found I could not fit it all in.the main trouble was the crazy track the distance between the track it was just too small to be of any use.the only solution was to make the track wider this has been done much better I can now fit everything in .the scene itself is slowly taking on more personality as now the front track runs through an alleyway.my little critter is happy as now I can just run no worries.
cheers

Design-HSB

Hello Kim,

looks huge only when I compare it with the ruler, it is actually tiny. I'm curious to see more.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

I really like the critter. The track radius, on the other hand, is a little frightening and looks like it might create trouble later, especially if it gets jarred in transit. How uncomfortable you be if the track went point to point with a reversing circuit? -- Russ

Bill Gill

Kim, I've seen dioramas in a jar lid, this looks like it could be a diorama in a lasagna pan!
It will be fun to see how you fit this one in.

1-32

hi Bill, Helmut and Russ,
Lasagna micro models well Bill I like it .in my life I have had a few names so I might just add it to the list. Russ with my last Dapto I tried to make it point to point and it was a pain in the butt.I like set and forget this tight radius stuff works and I can make it solid .i want to build a few more locos of different types all using micro trains meck 1/35 scale and 9 mm track.what won't work on these very tight curves are wagons no worries just build 4 wheel trucks like one of my reference pictures.
cheers kim

1-32

sorry, just one more thought all you will see is part of the front track and a bit of the roof of the loco in a gap in the back.
cheers

mad gerald

I'm fond of micro layouts - tight radii are manageable! The trick is, to arrange everything  appearing pleasant and favorable ... very much like your approach!

Cheers

Design-HSB

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal