• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ore Bin Chutes/Gates

Started by eTraxx, October 21, 2017, 03:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Working up an O scale Ore Bin. Here's my chutes and gates. The chutes are WS&F (Sintered Nylon) and the gates are FUD .. both printed at Shapeways. NBW are Tichy.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

darrylhuffman

Gates can be done in many ways.

I have even used the serrated sides of zip ties.

I've also saved watch gears all my life and fine some work great for the wheel parts.

Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Bill Gill

Those came out good, Ed. Nice to see what you've been working on.

eTraxx

Quote from: Bill Gill on October 21, 2017, 05:45:41 AM
Those came out good, Ed. Nice to see what you've been working on.
Thanks Bill. Had to force myself to leave them along for a while. Need to build the Ore Bin. Once the chutes are attached I'll do a little more .. remove the slight gloss etc.
Ed Traxler

Stoker

Very nice detail parts, Ed. These remind me of some old bins along the RGS around Placerville, although one of those I am thinking of was a coaling station.Out of curiosity, did you print the hole in the pinion to receive the rod? Or maybe just an indent to get the drill started maybe?
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

eTraxx

All of the holes were printed. The ones for the nbw were .030" and printed .. ummm .. so so .. at best in the WSF. See the pic attached .. the ones circled in blue had a pin hole as you can see, but the ones in red were mostly filled in - thicker there I think. I ended up using a .036" bit for the nbw. The holes for the pinion shafting came out fine .. the gate was printed in FUD and printed fine even though they were only .018"
Ed Traxler

Stoker

That makes sense. The rods are aligned so perfectly I figured that must have been how you did it.

One of these decades I am going to refine my Sketchup skillz....
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

eTraxx

Here's putting the shaft (pin) through the holes and stacking the gears
Ed Traxler

Stoker

Holey Moley! ;D Where are you using these? Part of your coke oven setup as coal chutes? If these things actually traverse you simply must make an animatronic workman to crank it....

BTW, I have been tinkering with hand laying track, and of course had to try On18 after I got hooked. Had me looking up your website after a bit of a hiatus from the less than 1:1 modeling I have been doing in the past couple of years. Not sure why I was always so intimidated by hand laying track, might be that in yesteryear my modeling was in HO, and the gazillion ties needed as compared to On30 or 18.

Edit: Just went over to your site again and saw the posts on the ore bins. Seems the coal has run out in Hill Valley and now the focus is on "Ore". You need to get cracking on a smelter or at least an assayer's office to find out what kind of heavy dirt your lilliputs are mining. ;)

finescalerr

Ed, where have you been? It's great to have you back and this is some of your best work. It should be an inspiration to any modeler in any scale. It certainly is to me. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2017, 11:09:49 AM
Ed, where have you been? It's great to have you back and this is some of your best work. It should be an inspiration to any modeler in any scale. It certainly is to me. -- Russ
Well .. gee whiz Russ (*blush*) .. thanks! :) .. haven't been gone .. just watching from the sidelines .. as it were.
Ed Traxler

TRAINS1941

Great work Ed.  Wish I had them when I did my mine.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Great job! Do you think these would scale up ok to 1/24th? If so, I might be interested in getting some, if you wanted to make them available.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 21, 2017, 05:46:22 PM
Great job! Do you think these would scale up ok to 1/24th? If so, I might be interested in getting some, if you wanted to make them available.
Sure .. we can do that. Ummm .. how about I start a new thread in the 3D Printing section? We can go over what that entails
Ed Traxler