• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Grandt Line shutting down

Started by Ray Dunakin, March 14, 2018, 12:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

Paul

Barney

Yes sadly "the end of yet another era"  thinking about It  30-40 years ago there was nothing else on offer especially in the UK
Barney

finescalerr

Thanks for that link, Paul. -- Russ

1-32

well, where is the garage sale yard sale to those north of the line yard sale? most likely e bay will have stuff for the rest of our lives, they produced so much.sad but the market is changing most of there stuff is from the 70 now you can get your nuts and bolts in so many different versions online from anywhere in the world.

Scratchman

Ray thanks for the heads-up.  I just ordered 45 packs  of rivets,NB and NBW.  They will still be taking order until  May 1. In over 40 years I have never had a bad part from Grandt Line. It looks like Tichy Train Group has a great selection of rivets and some NB that  I will check out.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

5thwheel

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

5thwheel

A good set of cup burs is helpful in making your own rivets. Chuck a pin in a pin vice and a proper size cup bur in a power hand tool and you can shape pin heads to good looking rivets all the same size.

Bill Hudson
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

mabloodhound

No one offers the O scale narrow gauge parts that Grandt has.  It will be hard to find some items and I hope someone buys the business.
It is for sale but not the name.  My line of kits depends heavily on their details.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Gill

Dave, Do you think Don Tichy would be interested in taking over the line?

detail_stymied

Quote from: mabloodhound on March 22, 2018, 11:40:43 AM
No one offers the O scale narrow gauge parts that Grandt has. ...

I agree. rivets & nwbs aside, I really find their windows superb.
s.e. charles

Ray Dunakin

I like their large scale windows and doors. I don't know of any other source for those, with the same level of quality and variety.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 23, 2018, 10:26:11 AM
I like their large scale windows and doors. I don't know of any other source for those, with the same level of quality and variety.

Agreed. Over the weekend I bought a 3D printer and the newest model Cricut Maker (it was a good weekend!), and I just went out to my LHS and bought several Grandt Line items to serve as reference guides for creating my own. I have no problem making them from scratch but I've got some projects coming up that call for like 30-40 windows and/or doors each, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life building them ...

finescalerr

Grandt's closure is a big loss but I think we have ways of reproducing many of Cliff's parts in even higher quality without resorting to injection molded styrene.

Laser cut Strathmore or "stencil card" / "oiled manilla" can produce much nicer doors and windows than Grandt's HO and O scale items and since you assemble them by laminating two or three layers it is easy to produce contrasting colors. The large scale parts may be more difficult, especially for outdoor models. Rolling stock and locomotive fittings, pot belly stoves, and other hardware also will be very hard to replace.

Instead of lamenting the loss of the line we should concentrate on devising feasible ways to replace it. (Why isn't 3-D printing much better after all this time?)

Russ

Design-HSB

I have read in the BRM forum in my opinion, the Grand Line should also be sold eventuel, only by a possible buyer, I have not read anything.

I have tried to find the Thrend again, unfortunately unsuccessful.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Greg Hile

Quote from: finescalerr on March 23, 2018, 11:25:11 AM

Instead of lamenting the loss of the line we should concentrate on devising feasible ways to replace it. (Why isn't 3-D printing much better after all this time?)

I agree wholeheartedly, but I do think 3-D printing is much better. It's more a question, I think, of bringing the cost down, and I know that is and will continue to happen. The printer I bought over the weekend cost just over $200 and it is a small, starter model and certainly not top of the line, but especially for the design and prototyping I intend to primarily use it for, it is getting more and more accessible.