• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Grandt Line shutting down

Started by Ray Dunakin, March 14, 2018, 12:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandiaPaul

About 3D printing...I just saw this week a part printed on this:

https://formlabs.com/3d-printers/form-2/

Quality was outstanding. In fact it got me thinking about buying one and becoming a "service bureau" for modelers.

As for Grandt Line, it kind of saddens me to see one of the old high quality companies pass, but time marches on. I agree with Russ, its not the doors and windows that are the problem. The more difficult parts are the issue, things like air brake parts, couplers, trucks, freight car details, etc... That is where I was thinking about the 3D printer.

Paul
Paul

finescalerr

It would be very helpful for somebody to post images of small, hi-res 3-D printed parts for us to analyze. We already know from Chuck and Volker that most parts are good for 1:24 scale and larger. I, and probably others, want to know what 1:32 scale and smaller printed NBWs and rivets look like in sizes of 1 scale inch diameter down. Also, how about curved or angled parts? Is stepping objectionable?

My point is that the printer companies and service bureaus show examples of their best work but never their typical stuff and, usually, larger rather than smaller parts. My own Internet searches have turned up nothing useful but this is the place for an honest assessment. Has any of you bought 3-D prints of tiny stuff?

Russ

detail_stymied

Quote from: SandiaPaul on March 24, 2018, 05:58:39 AM
As for Grandt Line, it kind of saddens me to see one of the old high quality companies pass, but time marches on. ...

we should keep this thread on target and then someone start a 3-D printing thread
s.e. charles

Greg Hile

Greg Hile

Being just down the street a ways to them, I had heard rumors, and now their website confirms, that Grandt is negotiating and finalizing the sale of its tooling to "a reputable company."

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World