• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

regauging wheelsets

Started by detail_stymied, July 06, 2018, 03:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

detail_stymied

(tried to search but the hit wasn't relevant)

Q; I have (3) Slater's V-skips #32W01 that I would like to run on 0n30 track. i would like to slide the wheels in on the original axles about .100"  (.733" vs .637" by my measurements so I assume there's a bit of a margin for error . . .) with each wheel going half that distant so the finished car rides centered on the track.

any help squeezing these in to a consistent distance greatly appreciated! I have a NWSL puller, dial caliper, 3 point & roller gauge for 0n30, and would certainly be willing  buy any tool which could get the job done.

thanks
s.e. charles

finescalerr

Wash them and put them in the dryer .... -- ssuR

Design-HSB

Or use a wheelset straightener like this one, which can be easily built by yourself.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

detail_stymied

Quote from: finescalerr on July 06, 2018, 07:10:49 PM
Wash them and put them in the dryer .... -- ssuR

ha ha - good one. I ended up ordering a clone miniature arbor press from micromark and will embark on a learning curve fraught with frustration.
s.e. charles

Bill Gill

If the wheel sets are correctly centered now would pressing a short piece of 0.05 styrene strip against the backside of each wheel and lightly scratching a line on the axle give you a reference for moving the wheel work? Or might you have an old gauge for gapping a car distributor's points if more precision is required. I don't know about O scale wheelsets, but have read for HO scale that gently twisting a wheel while pushing on it will move it on its axle.

Lawton Maner

I have used a modified NWSL press and a gauge inspired by them to re-gauge On30 wheelsets to On3.  The gauge is a piece of aluminum angle cut to the back to back dimension for the wheels and the press has a plunger with a 60 degree point machined into it to protect the tip of the axle with a sleeve soldered to the outside that creates a socket for the end of the axle to enter.  The sleeve is milled to the proper length to give one end the proper setting and a custom insert in the base does the same on the other end.  For me it is a simple job to pull the wheels out, insert and squeeze.

Since the Bachmann 2 bay On30 hopper is an East Broad Top prototype, a fleet was needed and conversion was quick.  Unfortunately for On3 modelers, the Volcan truck frame by Bachmann is the only one which is produced with the intent to allow modelers to re-gauge them as all of the cars in their line are built to known American narrow gauge cars.