• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dirty Dog

Started by 1-32, February 25, 2019, 04:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shitao

Hello Kim

Stop ruining all your new stuff!  ;)

Great work you show us here again.
I appriciate the effect of the rust peeling from the base. It is really nor just a color but it seems it has a real thickness and show bulbs.
How did you do this?
Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

1-32

Hi, thanks for your reply.
without trying to be smart I really don't know how I do these effects if I tried to do it exactly again it would be impossible.so I will try here is a photo of the barge before.
as you can see that I had done some work on the styrene barge before but it is not very good.so I pulled all the stuff off and just used the original finish as the base coat.I then applied a very thick coat of textures,  powders and both oil and water based paints at this stage it was a total mess very uneven and pitted I also replaced the roof. bring out the airbrush and lightly mist it all with light grey which combines, deaden the mess but also leaves a very absorbent base for the finish. my finishes are watercolor which I love and washers of thinner based oil paints I also build up my texture as needed .my textures are powders very fine sand and scatter landscape materials.the more you get into it the more personal it becomes but I hope you get a bit of an idea.
so texture and watercolors.
with airbrushes, I use it a bit but the amount of cleaning usually means that it is kept in the cupboard a lot.in the last 5 years there has been a lot of specialized hobby paints that have come onto the market my attitude is that they are great especially their multi-purpose primers but-find a art supplier that you like and start using them instead.most of their finishes can be reproduced from art suppliers.
my last bit is about photography i was impressed when my barge was snapped by a half decent camera,it bought out all the detail that has always been there .i have to get into it so i ask your advice on lens and the type of digital SLR not too expensive though as i am a bit of a thrifty shopper.
cheers

1-32

Hi Shito.
I really appreciate that you posted in English it is my big regret that I do not know another language especially German.I hope that Google translate in the future becomes more user-friendly in the future then we all can communicate freely.
cheers

finescalerr

I always approached weathering as you do. It took forever until somehow I would stumble onto a decent appearance, always impossible to duplicate. At that point my main emotion would be fear giving way to relief.

What kind of budget do you have for a camera? Do you already have a fairly current smartphone? If you have an acceptable camera, even a decent smartphone, the key is to shoot with a lot of light. We can discuss everything here if others are interested or you may send me an e-mail.

Russ

Carlo

OFF TOPIC... but Russ, I'd like to get some tips about shooting pics with an iPhone 6 camera.
Is it worth trying?  Can I do a decent macro (photograph objects that are 2" X 2" X 2") ?
Carlo

Barney

Ultimate Grot + inspiration - and I don't think I would want to paddle in that water - keep it coming
Barney

1-32

hi.
I will start another thread in the modelers at work section regarding photography.
cheers.

finescalerr

Carlo, the short answer is "yes". See Kim's new thread for details. -- Russ

1-32

Hi all.
I have been working on my rust painting techniques of late this is my results -a harbour mooring boy. the picture needs a bit of light from the base but I am pleased with it as it brings out all my colors.
cheers, Kim.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi all,
getting back into the swing of things and are now in the process of building a small boat that I hope will be part of a small diorama based on the action comics of the 1930,40 and 50.these 2 photoes show the beginning of the construction process as well as my progress on taking photos, an improvement I feel all the result of the white balance and bracketing my shots .
cheers, Kim.

finescalerr

Please explain what we are seeing. Is the top photo a first attempt / rough draft? -- Russ

1-32

Hi yes of course.
I want to build a small boat of my design so the first photo is a sort of rough draft to set out the ribs and also to get the basic shape right.
The model is of waterline type that is there is nothing below in the water so you can see that waterline shape in the first photo. On that template, I have glued oversize pieces of Styrene that represent future ribs and along each side, long pieces of thin cardboard that set the hull shape thus the first photo is a template.
The last photo is where it comes all together.
The exposed ribs have yet to be added and they will be laminated 0.5 mm timber.
The finished model will be wood with a paper sale,  one of the sideline items will be an outboard motor in a rustic style.
So these photos show my way of setting out a small scratch boat of an unusual design.
cheers

finescalerr

I'll be very interested in how you build it up, especially the side planking. I've always assumed nearly each plank must be cut to a specific shape and I've never figured out how to do that. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I too am interested in seeing this process played out.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World