• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

HO scale 1950s Finnuken's Pharmacy

Started by Bill Gill, March 05, 2019, 08:08:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Bill very nice.  You have done an excellent job on this!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on August 31, 2021, 05:11:35 PM
Volker, I agree with you completely that textures and other things quickly giveaway small scale models. I am woking as well as I can on every aspect of this pharmacy project and I like it, a lot. But looking at it in photos it is instantly obvious that it is a model, even without the plastic people.
Compare that you your latest photo on your Quiet earth. Heck, compare almost any of the photos in your Quiet earth thread, where at the very best an extremely observant viewer might wonder if the photo could possibly be a model...but most likely conclude it isn't.

Bill, I think that there are different approaches in model making and each one has its own limits. Taking pictures is difficult, especially if you don't want a too narrow depth of focus; foto stacking is one way, but you may try to take a picture rather from the diatance, allowing a bigger depth of focus, and then cut off the outer areas. Given the resolution of most current devices this still may leed to some reasonable results. The last shot from QQuiet Earth was taken with the Ultra Wide Lens mode on my smartphone. It allows to get quiete close to an object but still have a big depth of focus. Again one has to remove upper and lower areas, which tend to have a strong fisheye look. And I' second, what Barney and Russ said: excellent modeling!  

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Thanks, Russ, Jerry & Volker.

For some reason this particular project led me to really 'focus' on details.
One example is in the close-up photo of the display windows at the bottom of page 4 of this thread.
In the right hand window with the Kodak sign there is a tiny Kodak box camera on the red display disk. A nod to the camera my dad lent me to take to Boy Scout camp. And the photos on display are actual family photos I scaled and laser printed in black & white. No one but me (if I squint really hard) could possibly recognize anything in those photos, but I know what they are :)

Bill Gill

The interior is at the point where the strawberry milkshake and the cannister could be glued to the countertop.
(click photo to enlarge)

Bernd

Nice paint job on the figures. The counter lady looks like she's standing on a bean bag.  :o   ;)

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bill Gill

Bernd...she's short  ;). Well, she's standing on a piece of blue tack poster putty because I want to see if I can repaint her face, so she isn't permanently glued down yet. Focusing on the straw while taking the photo, I didn't even see the glob of blue goo until your post.

Ray Dunakin

I keep thinking of how tiny the bottles and jars were in my 1/24th scale drug store, and then how much smaller these must be in HO scale. Mind-boggling!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Bill .
I have been there.
cheers Kim.

Bill Gill

Progress on the pharmacy. The interior is done for now. A few more posters and signs may
get added to the walls if I find ones that are interesting.

The exterior walls are now all permanently glued together. They fit over the floor that holds
all the shelves, display cases and the soda fountain.The mosaic tile on the entryway floor is
in place (you can see it a bit on edge in the first photo).

My son suggested a really neat idea for lighting. If it works, I'll post photos, but it'll be awhile.

The second photo is greatly enlarged and cropped from a shot for a potential article in the works.
The train crew guy won't normally be there.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

HO scale models don't get much better than that. -- Russ

1-32

Hi Bill.
1-87 scale outstanding.
cheers.

Bill Gill

Thanks, Ray, Russ, Kim.
Being part of this forum is improving my modeling.

TRAINS1941

Bill outstanding job on this one.  Those figures HO scale came out erfect!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Bill Gill