• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Cutting up my Gazette's

Started by Mobilgas, May 03, 2019, 07:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobilgas

Well finally I cut up my gazette collection ;D  cut all the articles out that interested ME and saved the first 3 years that ill sell on e-bay this fall. It took me 8 months to do it but I finished it this week. When I was in the mood I would cut up 3 years at a time.  Now I have to sort it all out.
Craig

finescalerr

What a massive project! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I have all but the first few issues, and much as I love physical media, I'm seriously contemplating getting rid of them somehow. I just have way, way too much clutter, and desperately need to clear out a lot of stuff. I hate to just throw them out, but I don't want the hassle of trying to sell them (especially if I had to sell them individually).
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

My problem is that what interests me now may not be the same as what will interest me in the future, or what interested me in the past. I have gone the digital route, and now have the complete sets of the Gazette, Garden Railways, everything Russ has made available, and, most recently, the sets from Fine Homebuilding and Fine Woodworking for my 1:1 stuff.

Where I got into trouble in the past was computer books. Adobe Photoshop 6 would come out and I would buy 3 or 4 books for it. Then version 7 would be released and it would be 3 or 4 more, and so on. They're all gone now, although I do have a couple SketchUp volumes on my Kindle.

Magazines were another monkey on my back. Now I use such things as Kindle, Magzster, and the new Apple News+ service, and for one price can read a whole slew of magazines for a slim fraction of what it would cost on the newstand.

Design-HSB

I now prefer digital media. Especially the ones I can store on my own server. In the meantime, some magazines also publish digital content directories in which you can search specifically. With me in the hobby room there are whole cupboards full of magazines what do I get out of it? How can I find something in the many magazines when I am looking for something specific? I also read my daily newspaper digitally, even the evening before the show. Through translator programs I can even understand online posts whose languages I can't, for me the future is digital.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Mobilgas

Digital media is just not for me....I like paper and ill stick with that... I still have a subscription to the Gazette and buy the AK weathering MAG. I'm old school ;D When the Gazette pile starts to pile up  I'll start cutting again.
Craig

Lawton Maner

When the end comes, me paper collection will act a radiation shielding and a bulletproof wall between me and the mob. 

finescalerr

Naturally I can understand why you would cut up your Gazettes ... but my stuff? Absolute heresy! -- ssuR

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on May 04, 2019, 07:57:05 PM
Naturally I can understand why you would cut up your Gazettes ... but my stuff? Absolute heresy! -- ssuR

I agree with Russ!
Going Jack The Ripper on the Annuals is just not acceptable. Take photocopies of the stuff you need, and sell the magazine intact. Should cover the cost of the photocopies.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

Quote from: Mobilgas on May 06, 2019, 03:41:40 PM
If I got a nice fat check in the mail...it might change my mind NOT to cut-up my Modeler's Annual's & Logging & Mining & Industrial mag's.  ::)

Taking hostages, are we? ;)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past