• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Probably My Final HO Model

Started by finescalerr, May 15, 2019, 05:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Yes, sometimes I really do build a model and this one was to see whether I could still build in HO scale. Fortunately I managed and the result seems at about the same level as I achieved around 1990. The materials are the same: Strathmore cardstock with a minimum of stripwood, in this case a single piece of scale 6x6 for the deck footings and timbers. The inspiration was a 1958 model by Jack Work. -- Russ

finescalerr

The photo really doesn't show it but all those bricks are three dimensional. The roll roofing is printed laser paper. The trim is 100 lb. Strathmore Vellum, 0.013-inch thick, just about perfect for HO scale inch thick boards. I cheated by using Grandt Line windows; it's just not worth the hassle to make your own windows in such a small scale. -- Russ

finescalerr

I used a Lipton tea bag to represent the vent screening. Even the deck planks and stairs are printed paper but I stained them with an artist's marker to reduce contrast. I think the total expense for the project was between one and three dollars although that seems almost pointless in an age where you can't buy a decent HO diesel for under about $200. Anyway, I managed to muddle my way through building the tiny structure and am very unlikely ever to scratchbuild another in a scale my eyes barely can resolve! -- Russ

SandiaPaul

Very nice, I really like the bricks, how did you make them 3D?

Paul

TRAINS1941

Nice job Russ.

Next you'll have to do one in 120.3!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Paul, the bricks were mindlessly easy: I had photographed a wall so I scaled the bricks to HO in Photoshop. I had drawn plans for the structure in CAD, printed them as a PDF, and imported that into Photoshop. I added the board artwork (also a scaled photo) onto a new layer, pasted the bricks onto another layer in Photoshop, erased everything but what I wanted, flattened the image, and printed the walls with my photo inkjet on Strathmore. Then I embossed both the board lines and the brick courses (both horizontal and vertical) with the blunted needle from a grade school compass. Even in HO it couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes. -- Russ

SandiaPaul

Thanks Russ, they look great. I love those old Jack Work articles. I guess that shows my age!
Paul

Bill Gill

Russ, The 3D brick paper worked well. Being inspired by a model over 60 years old and building the structure for a couple dollars can serve as an example for the rest of us.

Lawton Maner

nk

FOr that scale you would be hard pressed to include any better detail. Beautiful work.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World