• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Caboose

Started by finescalerr, June 12, 2019, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I am only abandoning further work on the current attempt, in the photos above. I have to engineer a better "kit" with some detail changes and a traditional painted finish. Someday i hope to complete a more satisfactory and maybe more durable version of the model. -- Russ

peterh

Russ, what are we seeing in your photo of the walls on a cutting board? Are the vertical planks printed and the windows and doors stripwood? Did you scribe the vertical planks?
Peter

Lawton Maner

Russ:
     Just keep reminding all of us that sometimes a trash can is a useful modeling tool.

TRAINS1941

Someday your day will come!!  ;D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Peter, the caboose walls are inkjet printed cardstock. I scribed then board joints to make them three dimensional, then laminated the walls onto a more durable card and cut out the door and window openings. I reinforced the built-up car body with 1/4-inch square styrene strips. The doors and windows are laser cut Strathmore Bristol cardstock (about 0.013-inch thick). Last month I posted something about finding a local laser guy who can use my AutoCAD drawings to cut the parts I need. -- Russ

peterh

Thanks Russ. I've experimented with your method of combining printout with painted wood parts and found it was too hard to get the textures to match. Let alone the colour. Besides, brush painting  with acrylics is easy and gives great results, as Troels Kirk shows.

A suggestion about proportions: the lookout on top seems to big - big enough to hold a party - and I think that contributes to the cute look. Here's a French wagon with a lookout that has better proportions in general.
Peter

finescalerr

I think you may be right about the cupola. I checked some other small cabooses and the cupolas are slightly shorter. You also are correct about the difficulty of matching painted parts to printed parts. It's nearly impossible and that creates some real problems when you build a freight car or caboose from printed paper. It is much less a problem with structures. -- Russ