• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/19th scale buildings

Started by Les Tindall, July 07, 2019, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

I decided I needed some buildings as a backdrop to the 1/19th scale (16mm scale) scrapyard, so started on the workshop entrance, inspired by Marcel Ackle (and unashamedly using his techniques). It uses 5mm foamboard, well braced with wood (it still seems to warp a bit so further buildings will use plywood), with Stacey's Miniature Masonry (a UK company) "briquettes" which are to 1/19th scale glued on. Slow and tedious but it keeps me occupied while the wife watches old programmes on TV (Marple, Poirot and the such). These will be weathered with various paints for variety, then sealed, grouted and "chipped" at to make them look old. The door is a copy of one of Marcel's from a few years back, details of it on his website  www.feldbahn-modelbau.ch.

Les Tindall 

Bill Gill

Nice start. Hope the warping can be eliminated.

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Please keep posting progress shots. -- Russ

Les Tindall

I think I've cured the warping. I was having a sleepless night thinking about that. Got up early and just did a sample corner of painting the bricks, sealing and adding "mortar" (very fine stone, hydrocal and a bit of brown colouring).  Wiped of the surplus and currently waiting for it to dry.

Les

Les Tindall

Dried a bit light so added some more colouring.  Still needs working on.

Les

shropshire lad

Looking good , Les . Shame you have done it in boring stretcher bond .

Nick

finescalerr

I thought it looked rather nice as it is but I suppose Shropshire bond might wake it up a little. -- Russ

Barney

Ignore it Les its "Nick the bricks thing" all three houses I have owned have been boring bound - the two apartment buildings either side of us are boring bound - the house at the back of us is boring bound and on and on we go boring never mind keep the good work up Les its looking good - so keep the episode coming
I know you have sorted the issue of the warping  but next time try glueing some paper on the rear of the foam board it acts as a balance sheet thats what a lot of the display people do with there photos and drawings
Barney
So bored Im asleep again

Les Tindall

Did the paper on the back thing to stop warping - it worked!
p.s what is "stretcher bond", is that something to do with with being carried away to hospital?
Les

Barney

Don't go there Les - you will wake all the brick men up (and ladies) and its boring!!!!!
Barney 

Design-HSB

This is an old wisdom, if you stick something on one side of an area, you have to do it on the other side.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

With Shropshire bond you'd have the best of both worlds: Create it by making Nick stand in the corner, then bond him there securely by building a brick wall behind him. To make sure nothing is warped (except for our senses of humor ["humour" in Nicolese], glue paper behind it. -- ssuR

Barney

Boring!!   Even Tesco"s  brick is boring bond
Barney