• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/19th scale buildings

Started by Les Tindall, July 07, 2019, 01:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les Tindall

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Les.
ys the cracked plaster there are a few variations around, are your bricks hand layed? One way is to plaster up the bricks on paper in the chosen pattern spread a bit of plaster around then use a bit of thin wood as a buffer then hit it all with a hammer. A lot of it will shatter this is what you want but don't break the paper, pick up the paper with the shattered wall and then glue it on to you shape in this case the house.
cheers Kim

Lawton Maner

Or, simply manipulate the finished paper walls by hand to crack the wall in a controlled manner.

Les Tindall

The bricks are hand laid onto foamboard, glued down with PVA. Perhaps a little unevenness would have helped to give some "air" under parts of the plaster enabling the cracking with thumb pressure. (Hope that makes sense!)

Les

Les Tindall

Some progress shots of the 1/19th diorama.  Three building "flats" completed, wagon turntable and some track down, currently laying cobbles (these from Diorama Debris who supply excellent moulds to cast the cobbles, these are actually 1/24th but seem to be OK in 1/19th).  One of he shots show the Ruston diesel under repair alongside the main building.
Les

Barney

Wow !! Excellent - speechless !
Barney

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Hi Les ,

Progress on your project looks great and the buildings are looking just right . Well , almost , but we're not allowed to talk about brick bonds as , apparently , it is a boring subject . Looking forward to seeing more progress .

On a slightly different note . I went to the Stafford Model Railway Exhibition yesterday and I managed to take a wrong turning on my way there and ended up heading north on the A34 towards Stone . As I approached one roundabout with a pub on the corner and it occurred to me that it looked familiar and I am guessing that I went passed your old house . Am I correct in my thinking ?

Nick

finescalerr

As we all know, Nick actually stopped at the pub for an hour or two before getting lost on the A34.

But he's wrong about modelers on this forum thinking brick bonds are boring and, since he's an expert, we welcome any information or corrections he might offer. As long as he offers help before stopping at the pub. -- ssuR

Les Tindall

Hi Nick
yes it probably was my old house, I can guess which road you took.  I presume you called in at the pub for a cup of tea - Brooke Bond rather than brick bond. Anyway thanks for the comments on the diorama - I know you are the "guru" of model buildings.
Les

Bernhard

Nice work. I'm sure it takes incredible patience to lay all these bricks one by one. I love the gray window trim.
Bernhard

Les Tindall

Hi Bernhard
It took around a week or so to lay the bricks. They come from Stacey's Miniature Masonry, he also does the blue/gray bricks used for the window surrounds. Laying the cobbles need even more patience as there are around 1500 to do, cast in a mould of 100 at a time. The "brackets" on the wall of the main building will be supports for an overhead crane.
Les

Bernhard

In any case, the result justifies the effort.
Bernhard