• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 EIMCO 401-216 "Whistling Pig"

Started by Bernhard, September 15, 2019, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Marvelous work! The other projects look interesting too, especially the bucket excavator.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Thanks to all for not losing interest yet.

Ray:
As next I will report about this bucket chain excavator. Coming soon!

Bernhard

But back to the actual topic now.

Motor and gearbox are still missing. For that first two more pictures from Marty's manual.
The critter is powered by a five cylinder Type 200 rotary air motor. The motor is connected to a two-speed transmission.

Bernhard

Marty's manual also tells us how to drive the critter:
"The shift lever on the gear box has three positions. The left position (facing forward on the locomotive) is the low gear position. Central position is neutral in which the machine is in free wheeling and the locomotive will coast. The right position is high gear. The air valve regulates the direction of motion and the speed of the locomotive. The valve is spring-centered so that when the handle is released it returns to neutral. Neutral position blocks the air from the receiver and also acts as a brake on the air motor.
For proper operation of the air locomotive, the two-speed transmission should be first engaged in low gear. The hand brake should be released and air applied to the air motor for the proper direction of travel. As soon as the locomotive gets up speed it may be shifted to high gear.
To stop the locomotive the air should be shut off by allowing the air valve to return to neutral. If it is necessary to make a fast stop, the air valve may be thrown in the reverse direction...
... The brake is a parking brake only and should not be used for slowing down or stopping the locomotive. The break shoe is intended only to hold the locomotive and train of cars when the train has come a full stop."

I love it when I understand how things work!

Bernhard

So let's get to work!
The parts for the engine and the gearbox are made of Styrene.

Bernhard

The model compared to the prototype.
The drive is so large that there is hardly any foot space for the driver.

Bernhard

Ray Dunakin

Cool. Sounds like the prototype was pretty easy to operate.

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

The next point on the to-do list is the unique sound for the critter.
I programmed the sound decoder with the LokProgrammer from ESU. This was a very annoying job, because the manual doesn't correspond to the latest software version. Many attempts were necessary until the result was reasonably convincing.
First a little theory:
In simple terms, each sound consists of 3 parts: the beginning, a loop (endless loop that can be played for as long as you like) and the end. It is important to use sound parts with as little ambient noise as possible. Then the transitions between the different parts must fit. And last but not least you have to find a loop that doesn't vibrate acoustically.
(I hope all the technical terms are translated correctly!)
In the picture below you can see, for example, the beginning of the driving noise at the top and the loop for the driving noise in the low gear at the bottom.

Bernhard

Now I extracted the sound tracks from different videos of Lea Bailey Light Railway. From these I then collected the sound parts that make up the complete driving sound.
Altogether I created the following sound files for the locomotive with WavePad Audio-Editor:
•   Running noise of a compressor for filling the receiver.
•   Filling noise generated by the air flowing into the receiver.
•   Whistle of the compressed air whistle.
•   Driving noise in low gear, with the noise switching to high gear at a certain speed. The frequency of the driving noise naturally changes with speed.
•   Shifting back to slow gear with decreasing speed, until the end of the driving noise when the critter stops.
•   Applying the parking brake.

The following video https://youtu.be/74DrkZnZtu8 is a first taste.

Overall, I am reasonably satisfied with the result.
The only minor flaw: The running noise doesn't end as soon as the critter stops, like the prototype. This could perhaps be changed with an axle-synchronous sound, which is typical for steam locomotives. For this I would have to install a magnet and a Hall sensor somewhere in the drive, but there is not enough space.

Bernhard

Bill Gill

I like your approach to creating the custom sounds that you need for this project. I have read other modelers also are  being frustrated with the lack of information for editing sounds on the latest version of the ESU decoder that had been explained for earlier decoders.
When you have finished, is there anyway you can post a short video so we can see and hear the "whistling pig" run?

Design-HSB

"Glückauf" Bernhard, I have already created sounds for my mining locomotive myself. Only I had it easier, I could record the noises directly at the locomotive. Only the post-processing is already very expensive and sounds promising with your locomotive.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

Hi bernard how are you doing.?
I like your sound chip there should be more around commercially what is available is terrible.No little engines in convincing environments.

But.
I looked at your U Tube clip some nice bits and pieces but what really took my eye was the motorcycle on the rail lines. I have seen some close-up pictures of this before is it your work? -very classy post some pictures if you have time
cheers Kim

Ray Dunakin

Great job on the sounds! It really brings it to life.

I too am curious about the motorcycle-powered critter. Does it run or is it a static model?

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Bill Gill:
It's really disappointing when you don't get a matching manual for a programming device that costs a proud 150 Euros.
Of course I will show the finished locomotive in a video at the end of this topic! Until then some patience.

Kim and Ray:
I assembled the motorcycle-powered critter from two kits in between. I would like to share it here http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3010.0 in a separate topic.