• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 EIMCO 401-216 "Whistling Pig"

Started by Bernhard, September 15, 2019, 07:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernhard

Now the critter has to be painted.
For the primer I use Mr. SURFACER 1200. This product sticks sufficiently well on brass and resin surfaces. However, cleaning the airbrush gun is always quite a mess, because the paint contains solvents.

Bernhard

For the topcoat I made good experiences with ModelAir colours from Vallejo. However, for the "Whistling Pig" I use pro color canary.
Now the critter (still) shines in brand-new splendour.

Bernhard

After painting, the assembly can be started.

Bernhard

The typical traces of rust, which decorate the prototype, are created by dabbing various brown tones with a fine sponge. I have noticed that it is much more subtle to work with than e.g. the chiping-technique.
Finally, the model is further aged with various Vallejo washes.

Bernhard

Finally, the compressed air hoses between the main valve and the engine are fitted.

Bernhard

The builder's plate was printed on a laser printer on grey foil.
The inscriptions were also printed on the laser printer on special decal paper. The quality, however, is not convincing because the film is not properly transparent. Maybe I'll replace it someday.
Looking back, I should have etched the logos on the frame. That would have corresponded better to the prototype.

Bernhard

finescalerr

Leave it alone; we could have done something better on every model and the Whistling Pig is extremely adequate. Make the next one perfect. -- Russ

Bernhard

Russ, you're absolutely right. And there are so many projects waiting to be realized.
Bernhard

Design-HSB

Great model, but maybe for the next model.

I prefer to use transfer labeling for labels. I draw the graphic with CorelDRAW let a Schwarzweis film produce per color with pass notes and then get the self-adhesive graphics back as for the labeling of these two locomotives.

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Bernhard

Helmut, hat looks good! Sometimes professional solutions are really the better choice.
Bernhard

Bernhard

Now only the driver for the beautiful critter is missing. Fortunately, there are many very well modelled military model products in 1:35 scale that can be demilitarized with reasonable effort.
The candidate for the driver job is an Italian tank soldier.

Bernhard

He's taking his place for the first time.

Bernhard

What doesn't fit is done by an experienced team of doctors, i.e. carving away all military insignia, changing the cap, replacing the boots with long trousers, partially cutting off arms and legs at the joints and positioning them in a new position, adding new hands, filling and sanding everything cleanly and finally varnishing. Done!

Bernhard

After the poor guy has recovered from the serious surgery, he sits relaxed on his critter, left hand on the main valve, ready for departure.

Bernhard

And here finally the critter once again in operation:

https://youtu.be/H-LxY_tqtsk
https://youtu.be/ujcfFxbZq6Q

Thank you all for your interest and your feedback in this topic!

Bernhard