• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:35 Bucket chain excavator Ertmer KB 1

Started by Bernhard, October 27, 2019, 03:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Russ:
I didn't write down the hours. In any case, this is a long-term project.
I started in April 2017 with a visit to the Feldbahnmuseum Wiesloch and measuring the excavator. Then about a year passed until the 3D model and all details were drawn. Since then I am working on the realization. Next week I should get the last missing parts, the laser-cut chain links. Then I just have to assemble the chain, paint everything and finish it - and then I have to look for a new project.
Although I'm retired, of course I didn't work on the bucket chain excavator all the time. I also built other models in between, and I also have other interests.

Bill:
The match is a special design for people who can't see too well.

finescalerr

That's about the amount of time and effort I expected, Bernhard. Nobody can build a model of such superb quality by taking shortcuts. -- Russ

Bernhard

The levelling piece on the bucket ladder is still missing. Fortunately, this is a little easier to build.

Bernhard

The side parts are also soldered together in a jig.

Bernhard

For soldering the cross profiles I use again the jig for the middle part of the bucket ladder.

Bernhard

And also on this part some stiffeners have to be added.

Bernhard

The two chain deflection rollers are pre-turned first.

Bernhard

Then the inner contour is milled out on the rotary table on the milling machine.

Bernhard

This is where it gets exciting. Now the spaces between the spokes must be milled free with a 1 mm milling cutter.

Bernhard

After I broke off six cutters, my friend Werner sharpened a single cutter for me, which is a bit more stable. With this I could finish milling both rollers without breaking any more tools.

Bernhard

Then the rollers must be carefully cut off from the tensioning attachments.

Bernhard

Finally, the ribs are attached to the spokes, then the pulleys are ready.
But they are not mounted until the chain is finished. The chain gets the right tension due to the final position of these rollers.

Bernhard

Further I need two hangers with pulleys, from which the bucket ladder and the levelling piece are suspended.
Both brackets have the same function, but look different. Obviously at that time they used what was at hand.
The hangers are brought into shape with the help of two bending gauges.

Bernhard

The finished hangers.