• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

recent modelling from KIM

Started by 1-32, March 25, 2020, 05:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

That is one of your most charismatic models and deserves to carry your mother's name. -- Russ

1-32

Hi Russ.
. My Mum was born in 1916 some common women's names were Olive, Pearl , Lilly, Ivory, and Mabel, owners of boats were only too happy to use family names to claim ownership. Looking at the full frontal view some of those streaks need to be toned down a very light black wash should do the trick.
cheers

Ray Dunakin

That's an excellent tribute to your mother.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Morning all.
I have just changed my heading from Lockdown challenge to -
Recent modelling from Kim.
Here we are coming out of lockdown and forming a bubble with New Zeland and later with New Gunie, Fiji, Tonga, Somai all these countries have had low infections and it is a benefit to all. But the Australian government is not issuing permits to travel outside of this bubble it might be years before I  can travel to anywhere else. Thank goodness for the web.
The number of models that I produce it is much easier to have one heading with some subheadings thus the new heading.
Moving along here is a new one a 0-4-0 field barn style steam loco using a Bachmann  On30 Porter I miss Magic Trains mechanisms.
cheers.

1-32

yes I  forgot the scale is 1/35

finescalerr

Bachmann Porter mechanisms are sort of disappointing, aren't they? Do you have a trick to improve them?

I like how the model is shaping up.

Russ

Carlo

Great little loco, Kim.
You have a gift for creating small models full of character.
I will be watching as you progress. Glad to hear that the
Covid Crisis is abating down under.
Carlo

1-32

Morning Russ and Carlo.
So many have lost their jobs I think all debt all should be canceled and we all can start again after all money is such an abstract idea. yes, I can see the banks rushing to send you an Email with the good news.
anyway.
There is not much choice when you want to retrofit 0-4-0 mechanisms so a porter is an easily accessible product. The biggest problem I see is the visible set screws on the connecting rods why why did Bachmann do this? When I get there a cover plate of some sort will have to be fabricated to cover them.
cheers.

Lawton Maner

I have no idea what your Mother's name is, but I vote for Mabel as the name for the ship's dog. 

Forgiving debts would be a good idea for those who have lost jobs during the pandemic.  With the millions the banks give themselves each year not doing it would free up the funds to help out others.

1-32

'.

Hi, all moving along with my Bachmann 0-4-0 1/35 conversion. After pulling the mechanism apart I am impressed and are looking forward to finishing it , Styrene and paint .
cheers

Ray Dunakin

Very nice. Someday I want to get a Bachmann On30 Porter and turn it into a 1/24th scale compressed air mine loco.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

Hi Ray.
Compressed air mine loco very nice.
Cheers

1-32

My field loco now has a friend hurrying along to get its next load of tobacco-cheers

finescalerr

Unless I'm mistaken you've been rebuilding locos into 1:32 or 1:35 industrial engines for decades. I doubt I've ever seen a commercial loco on your layouts. Satisfactory. -- Russ

1-32

Hi Russ.
that is about right.
To my knowledge, there have been four commercial bodies produced that use drop-in common power units the rest have been built by model builders, Bernard from Australia[narrowgauger on this forum]has built some lovely examples . Myself because I have a style there is a clash and modifying a beautiful model is not an option all I want is a mechanism that is not too fine that I can use as a base.
Cheers