• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 Dreispitz Basel

Started by shitao, May 21, 2020, 05:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

The tank car didn't bother me but it certainly looks much better now. And I'm just as curious as Volker about how you colored the yellow post. -- Russ

shitao

Hello

The yellow post is quite simple..

Just adding the yellow paint with a brush.
Then add some mix yellow with white paint around scratches.
To similate the scratches I then paint them in a reddish brown.
Then adding a brown wash (mix of little brown with a lot of water)
I gave the parts next to the ground an additional coat of some light grey-ocre paint with a sponge.
So the really basic weathering method...

The really good point is, that the surface of cardboard already looks very realistic like old worn steel.
One just has almost nothing to add  :D
Greetings from Switzerland

Thomas

Ray Dunakin

Great job on the tank car. The metal and wood textures/colors look very authentic.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shitao

Hello

Thank you for the comments!

As my little scene will be during winter time I need some icicles.

With my heat gun I just randomly pour some of the glue on a sheet of backing paper:

Then I did choose the best ones and trimmed them:

Finally I glued them on the right spots around the building:

Thomas

Bill Gill

Nice icicles! They definitely help identify the season.

I had good luck making some small ones with clear silicone caulk on waxed paper. I added a tiny dot of white acrylic paint 
and mixed it only into the top portion of some of the larger icicles as I shaped them with a toothpick. When cured, they could
be glued in place with a dot of the same caulk.

I also experimented making large icicles to apply to a blasted rock face. Some of those got a little more opaque white paint
while others got a touch of pale blue or green to look like leaching minerals.

finescalerr

Good work. And thanks for the additional little tutorial, Bill. -- Russ

Bernhard

Well done. You don't often see winter reproduced.

Bernhard

shitao

Hello

The snow ist coming...

I want to have the snow quite dirty.

Thomas

Hydrostat

The dirty snow remains especially in the second picture look absolutely convincing. How did you do that? Oh - and I like the wet thaw appearance!
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Barney

It makes you feel cold just like its been here in England- very realistic
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Design-HSB

Thomas, absolutely realistic wonderful thanks for showing.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

You seem to have put the snow in all the right places. Very convincing. -- Russ

shitao

Thanks for your comments!

To simulate the snow I use the products from AK Interactive:

And no: I do not get any money for this advertisement...unfortunately  ;)

The small snow hills have a base of foam.
Then I drab "Terrains Snow" on the surface. Immediately followed by sprinkling "Snow Microballoons".
After about an hour I add "Snow Sprinkles" all arond the base of the snow hill.
This now needs to dry another hour.
I then randomly brush a wet wash of dark and light brown colour around the base. This really soakes into the surface.
On top of the snow I add also a dark colour paint wash. The paint is not as wet and is just brushed on the surface without soaking into.

And I have to give my excuse to everybody: I seldom comment your work. This is not because I don't appreciate it..It is just because I'm left stunning and speachless about this high grade of realism and beauty...

Thomas

Design-HSB

Quote from: shitao on March 06, 2021, 04:00:34 AM
And I have to give my excuse to everybody: I seldom comment your work. This is not because I don't appreciate it..It is just because I'm left stunning and speachless about this high grade of realism and beauty...
Hello Thomas, this was one of the best snow representations I have seen so far and therefore thank you for the explanation. From my point of view, your contributions also enrich this forum and you can absolutely keep up with it in your own way.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal